El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing a rear bumper for my 82 in the near future and I see several reproductions on ebay rangeing in price from just under $200 to close to $300.

Also noticed one of the higher priced ones were made by Goodmark and sold through Summit Racing.

I know Goodmark makes a quality cowl hood for 5th gen. Elkys so I'm wondering if their bumpers are good quality as well.

Has anyone on this site ever bought a Goodmark rear bumper for a 5th generation El Camino and if so what did you think of it?
Does it fit well and does the chrome look like good quality?

I'm a little hesitant to buy a repro bumper but knowing Goodmarks quality on hoods I'm tempted but would like an opinion of someone who has one first, or if you've bought one from another company/brand I'd like to hear how you like or don't like it too.

Thanks!

·
Banned
57 Posts
Well I have contacted Goodmark about there bumper on ebay. They told me that all the bumpers they sell are the same as all the other companies sell. No matter what kind you get I keep hearing that they are not going to be 100 percent show quality. They will be better then almost all used bumper, but not 100 percent show quality.

What I would do is get yours rechromed. That is what all people tell me to do with a used bumper that is in good condition.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If a company that is trying to sell you a bumper tells you to have yours rechromed should be all you need to know.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I have one on the rear of mine for about 4 years. Looks as good as the day I put it on. The elky isn't garaged either so rain, snow, hot, cold, sun, dew, etc haven't seem to affected it. I'd buy another if needed. Matter of fact if they would make a front with pad holes I'd buy it now.
Is it the highest quality show chrome you'll ever see? No. But it's not meant to be. Look at any new pickup truck that still has chrome bumpers and this is the finish you can expect on the reproduction bumpers. As for having a bumper re-chromed, good luck. I bought a re-chromed front that peeled while I was installing it. Had to pay return shipping to get it replaced. New one is chipping all over the place. So for $200 I have a nice rear bumper for over 4 years and for close to $700 have crap on the front.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,mine isn't a good candidate for rechroming because it has little rust bubbles coming through on it from the back side. So, its probably too thin to grind and rechrome. Its too bad too because the chrome on it still looks real good except where the rust bubbles are.

My Elky isn't a show car, just a very nice daily driver and I want decent chrome but doesn't have to be show quality.

Bobby78, did your repro bumper seem to fit well or did you have to tweek anything to make it fit right? And, do you remember who you bought it from?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I'm with Bobby, I have a repro rear bumper and it fit perfect and looks great. I've received awards at shows so does that make it "show quality"?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts