El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I finally smogged my 1987 El Camino, and it blew by all the numbers for limits here in California. I have the V8 and overdrive tramsmission, both seem to run well and the engine idles nicely

The problem I'm having is that since I drive slowly, sometimes the engine seems to lightly buck or stumble slowly ( my passengers notice the wave ) when I'm starting from a stop, and continues until I hit a higher RPM. Not all the time, just seems annoying when it occurs. I'm thinking that perhaps a fuel filter or the early death of a fuel pump? The vehicle runs great when the speed increases, it's just at lower speeds and again, not all the time. I've checked the gas however, it hasn't rained here in northern California in quite a while, so the fuel looks good.

I'm open to any thoughts?, again, it's a small buck, not every time, and otherwise the engine seems to operate very well. I'm focused on the fuel area for cause however, that may be due to some unknown area not already checked. Perhaps a sensor?

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
If it was a fuel supply problem it would occur at higher rpm's when the engine is calling for more fuel.
My first thought is to check the TPS (throttle position sensor). It can be checked with a digital volt ohm meter. The trick is to move very slowly and watch for any jumps or drops in the voltage. It should count up evenly.

·
0 Posts
When it "bucks",does it sputter? If so,I say check the carb to see if anything is clogged up. Could be as simple as cleaning the carb. Have you checked your spark plugs too?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I changed the plugs and wires last month. I drove the Elky today and it ran fine? As I said before, it just does this once and a while and not all the time. The TPS sounds like it is worth an overview. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I changed the plugs and wires last month. I drove the Elky today and it ran fine? As I said before, it just does this once and a while and not all the time. The TPS sounds like it is worth an overview. Thanks for the help.
I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out the issue I’m having the same exact issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts