El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm a little new at this so i apologize if I'm a little slow at first.
when I was 16 (I'm still pretty young) I got a 1985 el camino as my first car. I've been driving it for the last few years and I love it, but i would really enjoy being able to redo the front suspension because well... it handles a bit like a boat. I'm not looking for something too overly crazy and expensive, but I was hoping to find a bolt on kit or something along those lines to give it more of a sport or just generally tighter suspension (whether just in the front or front and rear together) to improve cornering and handling overall. What would everyone recommend in the ways of a kit i could use to improve this?

Thanks everybody!

It's in good condition in my opinion. Spent most of its life under a cover. This is it right here..
http://imgur.com/LA4jJ

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not real aware of what your looking for, I like how mine handles :beer:

But lots of guys here should be able to help you.

And welcome to the fun!

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are into autocross you will probably end up looking for a full handling package, but if you are just looking for a little more road feel then you might consider steering linkage and polyurethane bushings. The full handling packages run around 2 grand while a piecemeal suspension setup could be had for $500 - $700 finished (these are ballpark). Check your steering linkage out for any loose connections, and dig around the site for the Jeep intermediate shaft upgrade (this might be my next project). At the moment I am beginning my suspension work, and will probably still be working on it this time next year as I buy a part here and there.

Good luck!
J:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
This should work instead i believe..
www.imgur.com/LA4jJ
i dig the wheels - haven't seen those before

the best and least expensive thing you can do is comb the boneyards for a G-body with the F41 suspension and get everything. while it may be old, it will be easy to sand, paint, install then look and work like new.

the single biggest improvement i made to my car was the rear sway bar; look for the big one (13/16") clean it up and put it on - you notice the improvement on your very first turn

·
Registered
802 Posts
I believe a good front end rebuild would do wonders. Get a polyurethane bushing kit (as mentioned) and make a weekend out of it! I think theyre closer to $200-$300 though. And also, another popular upgrade would be to do the "Jeep Steering Shaft Upgrde". It cleans up the slop in your steering. Search around, theyres tons of threads on it!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,710 Posts
Do you have any of the F41 sport suspension parts ? If you don't it's a cheap upgrade !
I would put these on & see if you like it ! If you don't then you can get the expensive parts & put them on !

F41 Front & Rear Sway bars
F41 Steering Gear Box Quick Ratio
F41 Jounce Bars AKA Frame Braces
F41 Fender to Radiator core support
F41 Grand prix bar
F41 radiator cross braces

Here is some pics of them !!
Rear sway bar & radiator cross braces & Jounce bars AKA frame braces !

Look at the bar over the coolant tank ! Fender to core brace !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts