El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Check out the placement of my striker plate.
I have a pic from someone else's whose striker is reversed. They can be attached either L or R, which would mean one is upside down.
Please check yours and either post a pic, or let me know if mine is correct or not.
Thank you!!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Both of mine are facing down.
I have a very stock/original car. I still have original paint and I have very good reason to believe many things have never been apart on my elky.
With the tabs facing down they offer some covering for the bolts for the tailgate straps.
I also see that on your right side you have what looks like a frontend alignment shim in there. That should not be there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Good to know! I was rear ended a decade ago and the damage was to both the tailgate and right rear quarter. If the body shim isn’t there, the tailgate latch pin only barely catches. I knew that was ‘off’ but live with it but never thought the latches might be upside down.
However—there was no need to remove the left side hardware for the repair, and a quick google search shows a bunch of low mile examples mounted with the tab up. (And the tab being up seems to match the contour of the metal). GM does list left and right, 9618051 as left, 9618050 as right, but I can’t find an image of either number and the parts manual image isn’t clear. Anyone? Bueller?
Patrick

·
Senior Member Participating Member
1,055 Posts
My tabs are down. I'm the original owner.😮

Reactions: dmosko and pbr400

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The super low mile one discussed last year is ‘tabs down’, and one online vendor shows original GM ones oriented down based upon the R/L numbers. Could be factory or body shop mistake on mine, factory mistake on others like mine. Very interesting!!
Patrick
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
162 Posts
you have the parts and illustration catalog image ? if not when my wife gets home i will post a photo from that..lol it's showing the inside view but you can see a line which is probably the top of that tab facing down

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your time!!
I wanted to know if the tab should orient down or up. It appears the downs have it. :))
It seems with the tabs down, the cable travel is limited.
I am curious though what the catalogue illustration shows. Please post a photo when your wife comes home @1hellbound!

Dave

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
993 Posts
From my perspective, tab should be down. Preventative measure to stop the cable from sticking out 90° from its mount and getting tangled/stuck in the gate when it lifted to close position.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
1,055 Posts
X2 on the cable tangling/stuck reasoning. 😮

Reactions: dmosko
1 - 20 of 25 Posts