El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wanting to make a trailer out of the donor truck..car..whatever.
Thinking about cutting the front just ahead of the quarter window and down to the smugglers box. Sealing off the front of the smugglers box. Cutting front clip off at the same point boxing the front stub and adding a boat trailer front half. The roof has holes in it from the vinyl top as does the rear sail panels and the right quarter panel has a dent.
I can use the trailer to haul tools and my slicks when we go to the track...plus I think it would be ?
Any input or tips are welcome??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have always liked the idea of a trailer to match your tow vehicle.
The pics that old goat sent are pretty nice. Maybe put a see-through screen of some type in the old rear window opening, and box in the front as you said, leaving toolbox/storage type doors in spare tire well.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I’m wanting to make a trailer out of the donor truck..car..whatever.
Thinking about cutting the front just ahead of the quarter window and down to the smugglers box. Sealing off the front of the smugglers box. Cutting front clip off at the same point boxing the front stub and adding a boat trailer front half. The roof has holes in it from the vinyl top as does the rear sail panels and the right quarter panel has a dent.
I can use the trailer to haul tools and my slicks when we go to the track...plus I think it would be ?
Any input or tips are welcome??
Saw these awhile back! ; )
my friend has an elkie trailer similar to the one above being enclosed, just has no camper top. Enclosing the smugglers box as pictured in the post above is definitely the way to go to maximize storage volume and being able to lock it up.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
my friend has an elkie trailer similar to the one above being enclosed, just has no camper top. Enclosing the smugglers box as pictured in the post above is definitely the way to go to maximize storage volume and being able to lock it up.
unnamed (2).jpg
This one had hinged doors on the front for storage access! ; )

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
that's the one. IIRC, he said he bought it from someone else. not the cleanest coverup (bodywork-wise) of the smugglers box but it's functional, has easy access, and doesn't appear to leak

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,528 Posts
Here is the other side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Greywolf and Kstmbowtie for the info and photos . I really enjoyed seeing this Camino trailer at the 60 th Anniversary in Arlington , Texas . Jess , good seeing you and your friend there and hope to also see you this weekend in Gainesville , Florida for our Gainesville Get Together and 1/4 Mile Run .

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was good seeing you too. And yes I am still planning on going to the Gainesville get together. Whether or not it's on a trailer, that is yet to be determined. I can't get my brakes to function as I think they should. I have some parts that will be here Wednesday or Thursday. So I will be cutting it close.
Thanks Greywolf and Kstmbowtie for the info and photos . I really enjoyed seeing this Camino trailer at the 60 th Anniversary in Arlington , Texas . Jess , good seeing you and your friend there and hope to also see you this weekend in Gainesville , Florida for our Gainesville Get Together and 1/4 Mile Run .
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
I believe the smugglers cover was hinged at the bottom for easy Storage access. He had cut the frame rails well ahead of the box, notched them just at the box, and folded the rails to a point where he fit the hitch. It was pretty well thought out but looked simple to do.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I believe the smugglers cover was hinged at the bottom for easy Storage access. He had cut the frame rails well ahead of the box, notched them just at the box, and folded the rails to a point where he fit the hitch. It was pretty well thought out but looked simple to do.
yeah, I took video of all the cars as I walked thru but don't recall exactly how he did it. I have the video somewhere, still needs to be edited. I've seen a couple of these trailers and everybody seems to do the frame a little different depending on whether they knew what they were doing, had a professional doing it, or had a different reason for doing it a certain way.
when I get time, I'll post some of the stuff I got, including the Elkie trailer around the corner from me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts