El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1987 Elko, V8 is leaking water somewhere on the rear of the engine and it seems to be dripping off and on at times. I've noted that the water drips from the starter and see no trails of fluid along the block, indicating a possible freeze plug failure.

I've pressure tested the system, and it does drop a few pounds after about five minutes, so I know there is a leak somewhere. I've checked all hoses, intake manifold connections, and see no signs of upper engine leaks. I suspected a possible heater core, but thought that would lead to water on the floor inside the vehicle.

I saw an article posted today that shows the heater core below the heater blower, inside the upper A/C- heater housing. Very interesting because I thought the heater core would be INSIDE the cockpit under the dash. That said, does anyone know where condensation or a heater core leaking water would flow to indicate a bad heater core? Would it drop on or near the starter? I have noticed that when I use the heater, it does seem to drip more, but again, it is off and on?

This is bothering me because the location seems difficult to determine. I would think a freeze plug loss would leave a drip pattern along the block, yet there is no visible signs. And the car drips like a typical vehicle when air-conditioning is used on a hot day, in the same area where the air-conditioning would drip. After reading about the location of the heater core, my next thought is where the moisture drops if it does leak?

Have any of you guys had this kind of vexing issues?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Mine leaks in the same place. mine is the freeze plug behind the starter. I replaced my heater core last year because of condensation when i turned the a/c on. There is a hose to drain below the core that is supposed to go outside the car. Mine was clogged so i ran a pipe cleaner up there and cleaned it out. If you've not changed the core, there are some good threads detailing the procedure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is could also be one of the hoses/clamps just outside the ac/hater box. The inlet and outlet hoses on mine have a very slight leak and I found it only because when it had been a little worse it ran down one hose and I tracked it back up. That had just been a clamp in need of a little extra tightening.
One still leaks just a *little* bit... I can hear it drip onto the exhaust and hiss from time to time.

Some new hose/clamps might be all you need. If you happen to be pulling the rest apart to check for leaks, clogs and holes anyway then it can't hurt.

Good luck! :beer:

Jeri~

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ever have one of those times when you get a brain fart? I did!! I took a nap after posting this on the forum, and when I woke up I had the idea to " just by-pass the heater hoses " and see if it is in fact the heater core. Duh?

As I said before, I do suspect it's a freeze plug behind the starter however, once I read that article on the exact location of the heater core being OUTSIDE the interior, it got my mind to thinking that it could be the the heater core?

I'll post the results later, thanks guys!:dontknow:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Freeze plugs

Hey fixit. Them are some ugly pictures. :barf: If this is where its leaking, assuming the hole in the block is not corroded there are rubber freeze plugs to that will fit that might make the repair less painful. I know one person that has used one and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
yes they make rubber plugs,not what i woulkd use but will work in a pinch,pull the starter its easy to get to !! do it the right way,or bring it to my shop,you can watch and hand me my Dr Pepper !:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts