El Camino Central Forum banner

5th gen., with a manual trans, & tilt steering column

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  MACV 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if a tilt steering column was available from the factory in a 5th gen. with a manual transmission? If so, does anybody have a picture?

Doug

#4 ·
I have a factory manual trans in my '80 El Camino. I have the key removal lever but it's not a tilt wheel. I've never seen a manual trans tilt wheel from the factory. I would think that as hard as it is to find a G-body with the manual trans set-up, it must be really hard to find a factory manual trans tilt column!
Does anybody know where to get an exploded view of the factory manual trans tilt column?

Doug

#7 ·
it would be the same as the floor shift auto i believe. there might be a lock rod or cable for the shift lock .
That's what I've been thinking! I'm only asking this question because I've heard this and heard that but have never seen as much as a picture of one installed in a trucklet!

Doug

#8 ·
Hi all,

I own a tilt column for a 5th gen with a manual floor shift. It has the lever next to the ignition switch - will be putting it my 81 Elky eventually. Found it on eBay a few years ago and have not seen one since - they are pretty rare indeed.

#12 ·
You bet! Give me a call and we'll have a look. While you are here will you teach me how to send pics on this site? I have done it easily in the past but now I'm having fits. :???:

See ya.

#18 ·
Yes I know. Did the same mod with a G-body column for my brother-in-laws hot rod a couple of years ago. I was just curious about seeing a stock factory one if they were available with the tilt feature and the key release.

Doug

#16 ·
OK, when I go on the site and click on the pic I see "next" and "previous" buttons that let me scroll through 11 pics. I didn't intend for that to happen and maybe it didn't outside my computer.:???: Hope this isn't too far outside the scope of this thread.

Larry

#22 ·
Doug,theres a couple "exploded" drawings of the column youre refering to,with total breakdown and labeling of parts in the el Camino store cat.if you dont have a catalog ill print you one out and get it in the mail to if you still need or want it?

#23 ·
Must be my "sometimers" acting up! I forgot about the el Camino store catalog as well as my PARTS AND ILLUSTRATION CATALOG!!!!!!!!! Good grief!!!

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.