El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get rid of that non-functioning electric clock that sits to the right of the speedometer in my 1981 Conquista. In my opinion, this would be a perfct spot for a tachometer.
Anybody know of a tach that I could replace the clock with or seen it done before?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I've never seen a factory tech on 5Gen in that spot. I'll check the salvage yards.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Santiago...that tach is correct if you already have the round guage cluster. The white piece on the lower portion at the rear of the tach is the clock "workings" or mechanism.

The tach you pictured is correct for the 78/79 model year.

The tach filter is a separate wire harness found under hood on tach equipped vehicles.

Here's a pic of the tach filer...to the right of the pic..

the other wire is the white wire that is required in the dash harness and connects to the filter harness.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Was there ever a factory tach for the sweep style gauges? One of mine had a clock and the other had a delete plate.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,726 Posts
Santiago...that tach is correct if you already have the round guage cluster. The white piece on the lower portion at the rear of the tach is the clock "workings" or mechanism.

The tach you pictured is correct for the 78/79 model year.

The tach filter is a separate wire harness found under hood on tach equipped vehicles.

Here's a pic of the tach filer...to the right of the pic..

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/834/gj8v.jpg

the other wire is the white wire that is required in the dash harness and connects to the filter harness.
I don't know if the wiring on the 81 is the same but, my 83 came with a clock and I converted it to a factory tach. The white wire from the instrument cluster was already there and just clipped to the dash frame behind the cluster. I bought a "tach filter" and wire off eBay. It's a simple plug and play.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Besides the tach, filter, and wire, you also need the mounting bracket for the tach. Some of the tachs on ebay come with the bracket and some don't. I have an extra in case you can't find one.

Lots of luck finding a tach in the junk yards. That's the first thing that goes.

Jack

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have an 83 mine came with the tach where the clock is on yours. I believe there were different instrument packages you could chose. There are always some on eBay and Eklers has them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts