El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it has to do with the shallow angle of the neck to the tank and when the gas hits the nozzle to shut the pump off, the gas is already on it's way up and out.

Maybe pumping slower at the end would keep the back surge down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
it used to do it to mine, but not as often now, i don't really do anything different, just make sure that the nozzle is in all the way.

and when it does happen i make sure to wash the gas off asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 5th Gen and mine does the same exact thing. I just thought my car was "special" (retarded), but I suppose its not. I just pump the gas slowly, it takes longer but its better then getting gas everywhere.

·
1,867 Posts
Most of the pumps around here have those rubber guards on them to prevent much spilling. They do help kept fuel off the paint.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine used to do the same thing. My gas tank was really rusty so I figured that a valve was stuck. Because even when driving down the road the gas would come out even with different gas caps on it. I brought a new gas tank and it doesn't do it much anymore. One day it did it again and it stuck a long wire down the gas tank and it losened up something in the tank. Now it doesn't do it anymore. I think it might be a design flaw.

·
Registered
492 Posts
gas

ha!! being just a poor high school student, my gas tank has only been "filled" once or twice. so that is not really a problem for me! i just put in $5 every couple days. dont laugh b/c im saving for a new engine (small block 400!!) then ill be even worse with gas but ill finaly be able to beat this rich kids 69 camaro z28. 8)

·
Registered
314 Posts
is it a real Z28 with the 302?

I'd trade my elky for a 69 camaro (as long as they were in the same shape)

·
Registered
492 Posts
69 camaro

o no, not a 302... this thing has a 4 or 5 something in it. it was one of those crate engines, his dad told him it was a 350, but the valve covers are gigantic and its a big block so its no 350, hes just dumb. and this car is completely re-done, everything, looks like brand-new. and they also have a 69 rs camaro, a 77 camaro, and an 02 vette. $$ :evil: $$

·
Registered
94 Posts
When the pump is almost done do you push it up at all. I have a 69 chevelle that spills gas if I don't push it up. This is because of the angle of the neck of the tank. But my 86 elky doesn't have any problem with spilling gas it just wastes it too fast. It ain't cheap driving a V8 everyday, and everywhere if you know what I mean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts