El Camino Central Forum banner

5th Generation: Making All Four Tailights Light for Brakes

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  brian62 
#1 ·
I am putting my EC back together slowly but surely. Currently, I am putting the bumper, hitch and taillight harness back together after cleaning and refurbishing.

I believe I read here somewhere that another ECC member had modified the taillight harness so that the outer two lenses have both running lights (brown wire) and brake lights (blue wire).

Does anyone know what/where I can find a pigtail for an 1157 (two filament bulb) for my 85EC and the part number?

This appears to be a pretty straight forward modification in that the new 1157 pigtail wires into the existing black (ground) and brown(running lights) while the blue wire (brake light) is wired from the adjacent pigtail's blue wire?

Let me know if I am missing something here or whether there are other issues that need to be anticipated.

#2 ·
you can get the plugs for under 10 bucks each at any local parts store, orielly's ect..... or the local boneyard.....

you may need to make a new groove in the tailight housing for the dual element socket to plug into the housing i seem to remember that there is a little difference in the groove spacing between the single element and the dual element sockets.............

#3 ·
#5 ·
Converted one tail light assembly from two taillights only to tailights and brake/turn signal (I changed from single filament bulbs to dual filament bulbs). When finished, I will have three lamps blinking for turn signals on rear and six lamps lit for brakes. I used 7443 bulb and sockets. I was disappointed by the 7443 LED bulbs purchased as there was no difference between the brightness of the brake lights and tail lights. In order to get necessary clearance, I had to fab up 1/2" spacers for each of the taillights.

In a stock situation the taillights use a 194 bulb which is liekly less than an inch overall in length. A 7443 bulb is longer than a 194 but not as long or wide as an 1157 bulb.

#6 ·
auto zone

to Compare

Price: $10.19

Dorman/Conduct-Tite GM 3-wire twist-lock tail and stop light socket

(0 reviews)

Click to View Details

Part Number: 85821

Dorman/Directional Indicator Bulb Socket

For your 1987 Chevrolet Truck El Camino 5.0L Carburetor OHV 8cyl

Price: $6.19

Enlarge Image

Part Number: 85830

AVAILABILITY:

STORE PICK UP

In Stock

SHIP TO HOME

In Stock

Ships within 1-2 business days.

ADD TO CART

#9 ·
Looks like you know what your doing can't wait to see the end result.:beer::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.