El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a 5th generation going as a daily driving car. When hitting any bumps, the tailgate drops down. I'm using a cargo strap to keep it close - obviously not the most attractive solution. Also, I'm making sure I "slam" it shut (instead of gently closing it). I've pulled the rear license plate pocket to lubricate the latch arm rotor assembly (WD40).

Wondering if the spring gives out over time - I've yet to find a replacement spring.

I've check the strike plate alignment. It seems to fall within 3/16" - 5/16" of capturing the striker, but I'm wondering if I should just add a spacer so more is captured ( A Fisher Body manual recommends a 1/2 ID washer).

Any help or experience is greatly appreciated!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Temp fix???? Fold some cardboard and put it between the body and the tailgate on both sides it will take the slop out?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks! Interesting fix....
I'm now thinking about some sort of metal bracket (aluminum U channel?) that caps or captures the top of the tailgate and the left and right side.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Screenshot_2015-06-11-22-26-58~2.jpg you will also need these reinforced rubber strips. They go vertically on the pinch welds on each side of the bed. When you close the tailgate, these rubber strips act as a spacer and keep the gate from rattling. Expensive yes.. i use a couple pieces of 3/4" heater hose, split length ways, slipped them uver the pinch welds and used some self tapping screws to hold them in place. Work just fine and only cost $3.00 or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'll give the side seals a try (they are still there, but I'm sure they are worn out). Also noticed the bottom seal was not attached - I've posted pics on the garage and album page thanks for reminding me about posting photos). I'm still thinking the spring (probably the original) that operates the latch arm rotors has given out. Also, I might try adding some spacers to the latch plate. Something to do this weekend!

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
the driver side striker plate looks high [where the latch is hitting it]
close the tailgate, and see if you can lift the driver side up some, and see if it latches better..:dontknow:
may just need a little adjusting..

when you get everything moving good with the wd40, then use some thicker spray grease on it..
:texas:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JJ.
It seems to close pretty tight (not much play). I'm going to try with an impact driver to loosen up the plates (and then try adding a washer as a spacer, so there will be at least another 1/16" of capture).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts