El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if any of you might know whether I can drop a 327 and matching automatic tranny from a 62 Impala into a 60 Elky that now has three on the tree. Will the powerglide shifting mechanism move into the Elky without alot of mods? thanx......ese

·
Registered
123 Posts
Swap...

Hi ese, sound's like you hav some Great Toy's! :p I don't think that your going to have too much trouble if you have any at all! :) That's one thing I LOVE about GM :cool: ...mostly everything in the drivetrain's are interchangeable! I have a 59' Elky that has either a 6-Cyc or 283 w/3 on the Tree in it from Factory, it now has a 350 w/Powerglide in it! Ofcourse, I put a "HURST" Floor Shifter in it with a Skull Shift Handle on it! :lol: I have pic's in Member's Car's if you want to see it. Also, ebay has alot of part's & book's on the 59' & 60' El Camino's! Also, go to: www.elcaminostore.com for EVERYTHING you will need for your 60'!!! (didn't know if you knew of that web site) Have a good one & DRIVE SAFE! "SKULL"

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
When you say three on the tree, I assume you mean 3 speed manual shift. No your going to have to find the shifting linkage (more likely the whole steering column) from a 59/60 Elky or Impala or Biscayne or Belair equipped with a Powerglide, if you want to make this swap and make it look original. Not an impossible feat, just some good hunting on your part. On the other hand have you considered going with a 3 or 4 speed auto trans with a floor shift...an updated drivetrain, for better performance and economy. I don't think this would hurt the asthetics of the car unless your going for an ALL ORIGINAL SHOW CAR award. Like your other post, I guess it depends on what your plans are for this car if you buy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm fortunate enough to be in possession of my late Grandparents 62 Impala that has the 327 in it. It's got about 150k on it and is burning a bit of oil, so I'd probably go ahead and rebuild it. The car endured many a midwestern winters and being a four door, doesn't seem to merit restoration, but the motor is strong. It does seem a bit sacraligious to think about gutting the old Impala, but on the other hand it seems like such a waste to let the old girl just sit there. Sorry for the mind farts, just trying to suss out a plan here......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts