El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few holes drilled on the top of the metal dash, centered, and right at the front edge. I figured the previous owner had mounted a tach or compass or something similar (insert your favorite bobble head doll name here!). The truck was originaly built with a padded dash. I didn't think anything about it when I removed the dash pad. While trying to figure out what to do with the “holes” I got curious and pulled back the vinyl on the dash pad. I realized it was cut out to accommodate whatever was mounted there. It is not a modification. It is a factory cut and "lipped" in that area just like the rest of the metal along the front edge.

Can someone tell me what might have been mounted there from the factory (or maybe the dealer)?

I can post a few pics if needed. I was hoping Lockjaw would chime in!

Thanks!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Hey, Ray.. I must have ESP ! Both of my 64's have metal dashes (padless) with no holes drilled on the top. Can you come up with a photo? Chevy didn't mount stuff up there back then like Caddy and Olds did with headlamp dimmers. I am thinking there might have been a trim strip across the front just behind the windshield. I am not quite sure where these holes are from your post. This is wierd, bro ! Photos please!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, so as not to confuse anyone, the dash pad is laying on the inside tailgate for this pic!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually been contemplating filling the stud holes not using the pad. Time and welding wire are cheaper than new vinyl, pad, glue, and asprin.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I am clueless. I have never seen this on my cars. The larger center hole appears to be for an electric lead. Wierd place for a tach, though. Maybe someone who has the list of available options can help. I am thinking compass. I know some early GM cars mounted compasses from the overhead. We need a 64 options list to dope this out.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Mine has the original metal dash, no pad and no holes where yours is. Can't imagine what would have been mounted there. There's not much room between the dash and windshield. I get more comments from people about my metal dash than anything else on my elky. I think it's far sexer naked.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My father, who likes the 1st gen crucks, thinks the large hole in the middle is large enough for an air line and it might have been a pressure guage for the air shocks. I'm thinking compass with a light!

The dash pad does look like it's factory cut don't you think?

Ray

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Ok, Front is towards the bumper! My bad! It's the rear of the dash, where the person sitting in the middle would crack their skull while you're impaled on the steering column and your BFF on the passenger side would sail through the windshield!

: )

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
The cut is well done. I doubt it was for an air guage. Someone must have an options list.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If something was really mounted there from the factory, I would LOVE to know what it was and replace it. Just for grins!

Thanks James!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad was with me as I was pondering this. He said something very similar. However, when we pulled back the vinyl and looked at the metal, we were convinced that this wasn't a PO mod.

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
hmmm?!?!?! Is it possible, that's where a flux capacitor bracket may have been hidden??? Could it be that this car already knows who you are??? :dontknow:

I honestly wouldn't have a guess and I've been involved with a few 64-65 Elkys. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Maybe this???????????????

Attachments

·
Registered
4,351 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Could it possible be from the manufacturing process? Just a guess. I have a 64 with padded dash and I unfortunately had to cut another one up. Didn't see anything on the one I cut. Interested in what it really is.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Why would you want a clock up there when you can have it in your cluster ? Axeman, I still think it was for a tach. My wife is always telling me I don't know much so I am probably wrong.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dash bezel has the original 6 grand tach where the clock normally goes. Hence the reason I'm wanting to believe it was a clock mounted there. Most of the pictures I can find are of a 65 and the holes would be wrong for it. Someone (someplace on the internet) said the 64 clocks didn't have the full numbering around the dial. They posted these pics. The mounting holes on this look more correct. And the multiple screw holes in the dash look like someone remounted it slightly forward or backwards (probably because it was loose). Just a thought.

http://www.theaxeman.dns2go.com:8080/downloads/clock1.jpg
http://www.theaxeman.dns2go.com:8080/downloads/clock2.jpg
http://www.theaxeman.dns2go.com:8080/downloads/clock3.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts