El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building my 64 and the wiring is a total mess . anyone know of a good quality complete harness . im going with a hei and upgrading the altenator but staying with original gauges

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,705 Posts
I went with American Autowire. It's very complete and the quality is good. The only downside - that I found - is that many of the wires to individual components are longer than they needed to be and I spent a lot of time shortening them and re-attaching the end plugs.

https://americanautowire.com/shop/?vehicle=1964;CHEVROLET;EL+CAMINO&action=add

I spent a couple of years at McChord in 1967/68 and traded my first 65 El Camino in on a Camaro there. I often wonder if that 65 is still running around that area.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
64 Dash Wiring Harness

Hello Larry

My 64 dash harness had been removed and reinstalled by the previous owner. He simply cut it out, marked the leads and then reconnected it all by splicing the ends. Horrible job and he left many of the components out (dash lighting, interior lighting, radio, etc.) The car must have been outside in the elements and exposed to a lot of moisture because most all of the glass type fuse box receivers (those little chrome fuse holders on the box) were corroded so badly they created a lot of resistance in the circuit and as a result got so hot you couldn't touch the fuses.

I replaced it with the M&H Auto Electrical Dash Harness sold by OPGI. It is the exact fit (length) OER replacement. It comes wrapped and ready to install with all the correct connectors. The only down side, if it is one, is that as an OER replacement it has the old style glass fuses not the more modern two prong plastic type. That wasn't a problem for me however. The fuse box bolts into the original location on the firewall. It's very good quality and correct gauge wire for all the connections. I was very pleased. I have nothing against American Auto Wire. I'm sure it's a good choice too.

Here is a link.

https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/05780/

Good luck with your restoration.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
X3 on American Auto wire. I was very impressed with all the harnesses I bought from them, (under hood, under dash, and A/C harness). They prewired it for Hei distributor and for the elimination of the voltage regulator since I used an alternator with an internal regulator. Top notch quality in my mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Harness

I am finishing up the install of the AAW kit. You do need to modify the firewall but you get alot of addition power taps and new fuses. There is some reconnections and it is suggested you solder the connections. It starts right up. I do have a few bugs to work out but those are probably self induced. You will need to order the El Camino add on kit for the rear lights.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another vote here for AAW.

I also got the trunk mount kit so I could move the battery and most electrics to the smuggler's box. Really cleans everything up under the hood

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another vote here for AAW.

I also got the trunk mount kit so I could move the battery and most electrics to the smuggler's box. Really cleans everything up under the hood
Do you remember the kit number for that trunk mount??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Helped a friend with a ( painful ) harness. wasn't impressed..
I felt the same way when I was looking for a new wiring harness.
It looked to me like the Painless kit was geared more toward hot rods than replacement of an original harness with some updates.
The AAW Classic Update kit was a much better system, to me, to install, even with the need to crimp the new connectors.
Being an I&E guy by trade, the job was pretty simple for me and I finished it in about 16 hours total.
It did help that I bought the AAW crimper set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts