El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the inside of our '65 fixed up a bit and noticed a prior owner had only 2 screws holding the dash panel in place and the dash panel doesn't fit square in the dash. Pulling out the 2 screws and looking for other screw holes, I noticed many of the holes along the bottom don't line up with the dash panel holes. Was there a difference between the '64 and '65 dash panels?

Mine is cracked and will need to be replaced in the future anyway, but I was hoping to use it for awhile. It has the a/c outlet above the radio holes, is that '65 or '64? Is it supposed to tuck behind the lip of the dash pad along the top edge?

Also, mine is a "custom el camino", so would this have had the bowtie emblem top center on the door panels? Any other particulars I need to know about the custom trim?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

·
Registered
252 Posts
All of the information I've found said the 64 and 65 dash bezels are the same. At least your PO didn't use "one way" slotted screws to put in the bezel! The AC vent hole was used both years as well. Two seperate bezels were produced, one for AC and one W/O AC. There is also a plastic AC delete plate available to fill that void if you're not going to use the AC vent.

It should sit flush to the face of the metal dash. The pad may/may not lip over the top edge of it.

My 64 is also a "custom". There was some sort of emblem on the panel, no exact memory, no pics, 'cause they were "trashed". I just remember there WAS something there.

Shout if you have more questions!

·
Registered
252 Posts
BTW, I noticed you are new(ish) here and with a 2nd gen truck to boot! Welcome! I'm sorry I didn't welcome you sooner. I love the early 2nd gen trucks 64/65. Posts pics if you have them! Check out any post from LOCKJAW. I've been picking what's left of his brain for info about these early 2nd gens!

·
Registered
252 Posts
One quick question of you, does your cowl tag list a "comfort package"? Kinda vauge I know but just curious. It has to do with wiper speeds, wiper motor, wiper washers, wiper switch, door arm rests, and several other huge issues for me at the moment.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jay, 64 & 65 dash bezels are NOT the same. 64 is flat across. 65 has a raised horizontal centerline from left to right. They are interchangeable as far as the fitment, but are subtly different.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I know this is true because my red car had a 65 bezel in it when I bought it. I didn't notice this for at least a month. Talk about being observant. I prefer the 64. I intend to change out the incorrect one some day when I have nothing else to do. Uh Huh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this is true because my red car had a 65 bezel in it when I bought it. I didn't notice this for at least a month. Talk about being observant. I prefer the 64. I intend to change out the incorrect one some day when I have nothing else to do. Uh Huh.
I just uploaded the few pics I have so far on my ride to the album "65 El Camino" here in the gallery. There is a decent shot of the dash panel and if you look closely, you can see how crooked its fit is.

Is this a 64 or 65 dash panel?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pics were posted in the Photo Gallery under my profile "jsrail" . Tried to edit my last post here to add this, but it doesn't allow me to edit, not sure why.

They are also posted on Photobucket under jsrail as well.

Jay

P.S. I posted in the Wanted Section, but got zero replies. But, I am also looking for a number of '65 Elky parts, so if anyone has anything they need to part with, I may need it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
It's hard to tell from your picture but it's a 64 style dash for a elky that has air. What I don't see is the horizontal grooves or grid and it's not as chromey as it should be. There fore I think it's an aftermarket dash insert.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jay, that is a 64 bezel. Hey, did you get the photos I sent? Were they helpful ?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
LAWJOCK ? Whatever, AXESLAYER...:beer:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a few pics of the gauge set-up I bought the other day. It's out of a '65 Chevelle and has the correct clock and I believe it's the correct dash panel (except it doesn't have the "El Camino" emblem on it) you guys were referring to? The dash panel is pretty trashed and I only bought it for the gauges anyway since it has the '65 clock and the live gauges (instead of the idiot lights). It will need a new lense and the weather has gotten to this one. The chrome look has all but flaked off and that along with the cut-up radio area, means the dash panel is a goner.

Will the '64 speedometer fit into a '65 dash panel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts