El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had new door panels, seat cover and headliner put in. went with black instead of the original red. what i didn't think about was the interior trim that goes around the door frame, and down the pillars. i've posted a pic to show what i mean, but wondering what it's called, and if i can replace? it's the hard plastic, textured stuff (does that make sense?)

thanks, doods!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
thanks, Axeman! i'm now having luck finding it. any idea how tough a job it is to replace it?

The good news, I guess, is it can be painted. I saw some trim out of '69 Mustang that was painted and it looked as good as new. If I hadn't known it was painted, you wouldn't have been able to tell.

It was done by a body shop, so I don't know if rattle can paint would work as well, but I know it can be done.

Copper

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I found a roll of the 64 dark red plastic at a swap meet for $20.00. Someone makes it in the right color. Keep looking. Painting it will never be permanent.I don't know who manufactured the stuff I bought. It is a perfect match for my 64 interior. The seller called it "garland".

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too have heard it called garland (but I know that's not correct). It's a piece of cake to install. It's actually a thin strip of soft metal coated inside and out with vinyl (or something). It's folded into a "U" shape. You simply slip it over the ridge and pinch it on using your fingers. Someone appears to have brushed a little adhesive under mine. I don't recommend doing that. The tension of the bend in the metal keeps it in place just fine! If you can't find a color that matches, find one that contrasts! You can buy interior vinyl/plastic paint to "color" it, but because it's flexible it seems like a bad idea.

The El Camino store sells it. Rather cheaply I might add. The red is a dollar more. If THEY sell it you should be able to get it at OPGI, Year One, etc...

Here's the link I just found!

http://www.elcaminostore.com/el-camino-windlace-door-jamb-seal-stripping-1964-1967.html

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
AXESWINGER, the stuff I have is all vinyl, no metal. It looks super and is as easy to install as putting on your socks.My interior color is that darkish red with a hint of pink..perfect match.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just used a pair of sissors on the piece of original windlace I removed, just to disect it. It is metal with vinyl on both sides. Looks like it's tin, not aluminum or steel.

The link I posted also states: Extruded Over A Metal Core Just Like Factory

You already have me calling my wife Axewoman, please don't let her see someone calling me axeswinger! She can make my life miserable when she wants to! : )

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Too funny! You better sleep with one eye open. The stuff I have is obviously not OEM grade, but, a perfect color match and it fits nicely.
:poke:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Browsing fleabay and saw this auction. It's for a set of windlace "end caps". Even though it says 2 door hard top chevelle I know somewhere in my parts bin (in a labeled baggy) I pulled a set of these while I was tearing her apart. Maybe I can find a picture of where they came off. Seems like they simply tied off a loose end that would have looked stupid "bare".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-Chevelle-SS-2-Door-Hard-Top-Windlace-End-Caps-/370596854086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56494b3946&vxp=mtr

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Nobody said this was going to be easy!:dontknow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts