El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my newly acquired '65 El Camino on the road, when the cheapo hood keyed pins broke and the hood opened up at 45mph! That is why I hate those things. Anyway, I need a few things I didn't get a chance to post before this happened, as well as some other parts I need as well. I may have to buy them a few at a time if the prices are more than I can do at one time, but here goes:

1. Hood hinges (both sides)

2. The entire hood latch, latch release handle, support, lock, and hardware. I have only the core support and a hood with nothing on it, so I need everything to latch and hold the hood on.

3. A decent core support if I can find one and the shipping isn't too bad. Mine is dented and bent and kind of curves in towards the radiator, which I am not sure is stock. Not 100% necessary, but would be nice to find.

4. Hardware for tail gate hinges. Specifically the bolts which bolt the hinge into the tail gate. Can't seem to find a seller listing them.

5. Dash panel. Mine is cracked and broken and the bolt holes along the bottom don't match up with the holes in the dash, they are way off, and the whole dash panel seems to be just a tad bit too wide for the dash opening. Is that possible?

6. Driver's side mirror. Mine is a cheap plastic one from O'Reilly's or somewhere like that which is broken and keeps falling off. I think the passenger side one is a stock one.

7. Stock steering wheel and horn button. Are stock ones about 15" or so? Currently ours has a 13.5" little fat thing there is real fun to drive with, especially since we have no power steering! Though my biceps are getting a workout.

Frankly, I am amazed at the crap that has been done to this truck, but that's okay, it's being resurrected now and given a chance for many more great miles ahead. I'll update this posting if I think of anything else. I am really enjoying this truck.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jay

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PLEASE HELP!

Well, found most of the stuff, except a good dash panel, right side mirror, and horn button stuff. Here's a pic of the steering wheel I found, I know its not '65 El Camino wheel, but with manual steering, I needed something bigger than the 13" wheel in it. I think this may be off a '66 Chevelle, Malibu, etc. going by where I found it in the wrecking yard (it was off a car and just laying in the backseat of a '66 Chevelle. I only have the steering wheel and the horn ring, but no guts. Can someone tell me (or post a pic) of the remaining items I need to get a horn button and it working?

Thanks, Jay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts