El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning:
My driver-side brake lights and turn signals do not function.
I replaced the flasher, bulbs, fuses and checked the ground.
The bulbs are very hot to touch.

Any suggestions as to where to start next?

Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Hi dan.ogorman65 , welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your El Camino. I don't know for sure, but there maybe more than 1 ground. Others here will have a better idea. Have fun with your El Camino and the community.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Under the carpet by the fuse box there is a ribbon cable that runs to behind the seat. There is 2 connectors. Take them apart, clean them and re-seat them. Copper oxidizes after time and prevents a good connection.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Access the turn signal connector at th bottom of the column. Probe the YELLOW wire terminal with a test light while the key and the left turn signal is on. If it blinks the problem is in a connection or ground.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good Morning:
My driver-side brake lights and turn signals do not function.
I replaced the flasher, bulbs, fuses and checked the ground.
The bulbs are very hot to touch.

Any suggestions as to where to start next?

Much appreciated.
If it helps, I got a 64 that had similar problems. My ribbon cable had failed and had to run some new wires, so check that first. For mine, behind the bezel where it bolts in was a little rusty, and that piece of metal the bolt runs through is EXTREMELY thin. I soldered 2 ground wires on top and bottom of the bezel (1 wasn’t good enough for blinkers) and all is well again. When in doubt, add more grounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts