El Camino Central Forum banner

65 Tail light question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Vdv8 
#1 ·
Good Morning:
My driver-side brake lights and turn signals do not function.
I replaced the flasher, bulbs, fuses and checked the ground.
The bulbs are very hot to touch.

Any suggestions as to where to start next?

Much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi dan.ogorman65 , welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your El Camino. I don't know for sure, but there maybe more than 1 ground. Others here will have a better idea. Have fun with your El Camino and the community.

#5 ·
Access the turn signal connector at th bottom of the column. Probe the YELLOW wire terminal with a test light while the key and the left turn signal is on. If it blinks the problem is in a connection or ground.

#7 ·
If it helps, I got a 64 that had similar problems. My ribbon cable had failed and had to run some new wires, so check that first. For mine, behind the bezel where it bolts in was a little rusty, and that piece of metal the bolt runs through is EXTREMELY thin. I soldered 2 ground wires on top and bottom of the bezel (1 wasn’t good enough for blinkers) and all is well again. When in doubt, add more grounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.