El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 66 to a shop for a front end alignment this morning.
First time on public roadways.

Seems to have run real nice----but the silly speedometer made so uch noise I had to disconnect it bfore I go tthe the shop.

Looks like the dash needs to come out again:dontknow:

Shifted nice-----lugged along quietly in 5th at about 40mph
(Tremec TKO 600)

Not a rocket by any means----but I am looking for
reliability and MPG in this thing.

Might even drive it home tonight----(doubt it tho---cannot find my registration papers and the safety check has not been done.)

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Glad to hear that, next I'll be glad to see it!!! I know you've put a lot of work into it!!!:beer:
Donny

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up the car from the shop that did the alignment today.

Cold---Wet---Breezy---and had been hailing

Put a wiper on it and took it back to the body shop.
Tomorrow I shall psych myself up to pull the dash again to replace the speedometer.

The new repro Speedos do NOT have the bright light indicator in the speedometer.
So now, I guess I get to drill a hole in a new speedo for my indicator light

With the speedometer disconnected, the windows up, this car is dead quiet
at about 50mph in 5th.

Sure would have been a bit more comfortable to drive had I
taken the time to program the electronic AC/Heater (Vintage Air), but I had not got around to that yet.

Also---something shorted out and my turn signals quit working.

Oh well--just another thing to look into

So---new speedometer coming, add some FUNCTIONAL horns, program AC controls---and then off to the safety inspection.

Oh---and the power disc brakes---appropriated from a 72 Chevelle---are extremely touchy. Just something to get used to I guess.

My Ranchero and my Dodge pick-up do not have power brakes---I guess I am just too used to those.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,536 Posts
Congrats...that '66 looks great. I hope you can bring it and the '59 to Belton.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Oh---and the power disc brakes---appropriated from a 72 Chevelle---are extremely touchy. Just something to get used to I guess.

My Ranchero and my Dodge pick-up do not have power brakes---I guess I am just too used to those.

Maybe ... but some of the power brakes on the older cars were ridiculously over boosted. My father had a '66 Olds and the brakes on it were so touchy a hard look at the pedal would lock all four tires. He drove that car well into the '80's ... and while I had my own car, with power brakes, I couldn't drive it. I was constantly smashing the passengers faces into the windshield.

I hated that car. :mad2:

Copper.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Looks nice. Good luck with it. I want that trans!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Im just reasembling the front end of my 66, and i still have to pull my dash. i suppose i should test my spedo before i reassemble all of it? Looks good. seeing one 66 on its way done, helps give me motivation on mine:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well--Dropped the dash and got the cluster out.

Brought it home and took the speedometer out.

Chucked it up in a reversible drill----spun it up, and it was okay til 40mph.
At 45 that thing started howling.

That's what you get when you get a housing and speedometer from someone, and neither knows it's history.

Not upset----I needed the 67 cluster because of the hi beam feature in the speedo.
Have full gauges, but also am using all of the original indicator lights----Well--added the brake indicator.

Now I get to drill holes in a new speedometer.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turn signals might be burnt bulbs.
Turned out that the turns did not like the flasher unit I had in there.
Swapped it with the hazard flasher and all was well.

Then I took the dash out

P

·
0 Posts
Nice

Nice looking 66 :beer:Did you have to do any Mods to the floor to get the Tremec to fit?

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Congrats!

Congratulations, Bryan. It's been a while coming, but she's about there. NOW, make sure we get to see one or both of them Elkies at the Belton Bash on May 26th...............Ken :poke: :beer:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Garry,
A few lil cuts----nothing serious----the trans was trimmed down to fit the car by Keisler

Randy,
Last

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
lookin good! bet it felt great to drive it! love the wheels also, are they newer s-10 wheels?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep
Newer S-10 wheels
Not wanting to bore the center hole, of the wheel, I machined the axles and rotor/front hubs to fit the wheel.
Got some longer wheels studs and of course some special lugnuts to hold the center cap on.

I have the number for those nuts somewhere---not sure where.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts