El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the center-to-center bolt hole distance is across and up and down for the mounting holes on a 1966 radiator? I need a new rad for my '65 and looks like NPD makes an OEM version, but their '65's come only in a 2-core whereas their '66 has a 3-core version. I'm in AZ and I have to run a/c almost year-round so I want a good radiator, but can't afford those $500-600 ones.

Or can someone just answer if a '66 radiator will bolt up on a '65 core support without problems?

Or does the group think its better to just buy a Champion (these are sold everywhere at a decent price it seems) alum. radiator instead?

Can someone please help me out asap. I need this car back running asap and I'm coming up on a weekend when no one ships.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jay, I can tell you that the 65 & 66 have the same core support and hole locations, also my 64's the same. I bought an aluminum 2 row rad last year. All these aftermarket rads have three times as many holes up and down the side mounting tabs to accomodate many applications. I had three options to choose from as far as heigth due to the extra holes. It should be a straight shot for you. It's nearly midnight and my garaghe is all locked up or I would go measure for you.But, I am sure they are the same.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lockjaw, glad to have that verified. Speedway has an Afco aluminum 2-core (1" tubes) rad on sale for $349.00; N.P.D. has an OEM '66 3-core for $249.95; and eBay sells Champion (brand) aluminum 3-cores for around $200-225 often with free shipping.

Has anyone had better luck with a certain brand rad over others?

Jay

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right Lockjaw, I just picked up a 3-row '66 OEM style rad today and it bolted up fine. The truck runs right at 195 degrees like it supposed to. Someone put a later model fan and fan clutch on this truck which puts it real close to the upper rad hose, but it will be okay for now. Guess I need to look into an original style fan though I will probably just go electric fans as soon as I can afford it.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Glad to hear you found a good deal on a radiator. I bought an aluminum 2 row (1" tubes) a couple of years ago. I added a 14" electric fan with controller.I also eliminated the filler/connector piece between the rad and the core support to open the area up.The motor runs cool in the Florida heat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear you found a good deal on a radiator. I bought an aluminum 2 row (1" tubes) a couple of years ago. I added a 14" electric fan with controller.I also eliminated the filler/connector piece between the rad and the core support to open the area up.The motor runs cool in the Florida heat.
Not sure what filler piece you are talking about, mine has nothing there but a big hole, so mine is probably missing something. Are there supposed to be rubber bushing between the rad and the core support where the rad bolts to the core support? Mine didn't have any, but it had a later rad mounted with just two bolts at the top holding it in. A real Mickey-Mouse job. The core support is a little bent like it rear-ended something before, though not too badly.

Do you have pics somewhere of your '64?

Jay

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jay, I am referring to an extention shroud between the radiator and the core support.It was a square shroud about 3 inches deep that the radiator mounted to. I removed it to move myn radiator forward.I have an electric fan and batre fan pulley now.
I hope to take new photos today after I give my white 64 a bath.I just installed a Herculiner kit and I wanted to post it. Now that the Garage thingy is in effect I will post some shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts