El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought this one home with the idea of turning it into a NHRA Stock Eliminator ride. After much thought I just could'nt bring myself to install a cage into such a clean and solid little truck, so I'm headed in another direction with it.

I've owned three other Camino's over the years ('71, '72, '65)...the '65 I really miss as it was probably the most fun daily driver I have ever owned. This one will be spiffed up and driven...maybe not daily, but it will be used with trips to the drag strip from time to time. Currently a 283 w/4-speed and 12-bolt w/3.73 Auburn locker. Paint is an older version of about 10 years age the best I can gather...while still in decent shape I just can't describe the color, so that will be the first order of business.

Tentative schedule:

paint
suspension/brake upgrades
396/350 upgrade
possible 5-speed manual

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably going back with Ermine White which was the original color. I can live with white for a long time and it won't hurt during the summer months with no air. :wink2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
What color are you thinking? I was at a car show in my home town and a gentleman there just purchased a 68 in a candy apple red. Great looking machine and so is yours. Great generation.
elamott

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a question about the tailgate trim/moulding. I have found all the moulding I want to replace on the truck with the exception of that rectangular trim piece on the exterior of the tailgate...is it fastened with clips, studs or glued on? Any vendors offer those pieces for a '67? I would like to go back with the woodgrain insert, but those pieces are a little ratty looking.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the existing adhesive side trim off the vehicle today to see what was underneath. Found the doors had the holes for trim clips, but the fenders/quarters had none. I'm guessing the fenders and quarters were replaced at some point.

The question now is what to do about the side trim pieces. I have no clue what is involved for trim/moulding clips nor where to place them...drilling holes involved? At any rate this must be decided before paint. I could just run the door piece alone, but that would probably look funky.

I almost forgot about the smugglers box on these trucks...that access hole to the quarter will be handy as it is almost directly opposite to a small dent that needs attention.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,719 Posts
that rectangular trim piece on the exterior of the tailgate...is it fastened with clips, studs or glued on?
Rich,

You should be able to pull the inner panel off the tailgate and tell if the trim is held on by studs.

Nice looking 2nd gen. I'm hopful that one day soon, we will see separate sub-forums by generation - that will generate more cross talk between year model/generation owners. :texas:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I found them Les...very large studs to boot. Mine are kind of ratty looking and the lower piece is into in one spot. Odd how you can get repro's of any trim on these vehicles with the exception of those pieces. I may have located a used set and will know next week.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would welcome some honest opinions and advice from those in the know. I need to address this before starting the body work and paint.

I have two routes to go with - I can either just weld up the holes in the door skins and go with a rocker moulding like this...

Or I can find someone to locate/mount the side body moulding across like this...

I would be satisfied either way, but I don't know which would be the least painful.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
The tailgate trim designates a custom model. You only had 2 options in '67, custom and standard. Unless I'm wrong the custom had simulated wood trim within the stainless steel trim.

Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok - If I decide to forgo the side trim in favor of rocker trim...what is the preferred method of filling those clip holes in the door skins?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The 66 Super Sport/ElCamino Custom rocker molding is available and is retained with screw on retainers and a few screw on the bottom of the car.

HOWEVER

The rear piece----Rocker Extension----on the Quarter panels are not reproduced or available for the ElCamino.

The passenger car Super Sport molding is quite a bit shorter and has different angles to it.

If you have no fender holes of quarter panel holes for the 67 Malibu trim on your car, but have the holes in the doors----possible the doors have been changed.
Good decent quarter panels for that car have not been available for a long time.

As far as locating and mounting the 67 Malibu trim----I would probably just go with
the molding/emblem tape probably available in the better auto paint stores.
It is available in several widths and stays stuck on.

Locating----just above the lower body line

1 - 20 of 193 Posts