El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed that I had, what appeared to be oil dripping from the front of my engine. I had just fixed a leaky oil sensor the week before and was finally enjoying a clean driveway and garage floor - so naturally I am not happy. Anyway, when I popped the hood I noticed that the whole front of the motor, belts, pullies, fan etc were covered. I checked the level on the power steering pump and it doesn't even register on the dip stick. I'm thinking that it is actually the steering fluid and that I may need to rebuild the pump. What is the best way to check the pump for leaks? Should I use ATF or PSF? If I run the car like this will I damage anything?

By the way, I didn't lose steering. But I only made a very short run on the last trip.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
If you start the engine, you'll ruin the pump if it's empty. Can you push the car off the driveway to a place you don't care if it leaks? Add some power steering fluid and start it up. Observe the leak. If you're lucky it's only a bad hose. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is in the garage, floor is painted so I can deal with a leak no problem. I'll give it a shot this week and see. Is it normal for the pump to suddenly go like that?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,952 Posts
My 84 pump just started leaking ! So I'm replacing the pump & hoses !!

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
It' not completely unheard of for the pump to start leaking, considering the age, but as said before, check your hoses first.

Tim

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
First before starting the engine, grab the p/s pulley and try to move it up and down, if it has excessive movement then the front bushing is worn out.
Fill it with P/S fluid, not ATF, start the engine and look for leaks, if you don't see anything, have someone turn the wheel to full lock while you look for leaks, don't leave it at full lock for more than a couple of seconds at a time. This is when the Hi-pressure hose will show if it is leaking.
Ralph:texas:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible that the leak is from the cap? The dip stick tube is open through the top of the cap. I can see light and blow air easily right through it. Is this cap supposed to be so freely vented?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts