El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Got a '67 El Camino, 350/350. Was driving it the other day, pulled up to a stop light and poof, the whole car goes quiet. I briefly saw the GEN light as the car shut down. Tried turning the key several times and got nothing. No electrical, no crank, nada. Tried to find any obvious electrical issues but could only get the GEN light to flicker one time before I got a tow.

Car cranked up like nothing happened the next day.

Thoughts? I was thinking the ignition switch, certainly electrical. Distributor maybe? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Got a '67 El Camino, 350/350. Was driving it the other day, pulled up to a stop light and poof, the whole car goes quiet. I briefly saw the GEN light as the car shut down. Tried turning the key several times and got nothing. No electrical, no crank, nada. Tried to find any obvious electrical issues but could only get the GEN light to flicker one time before I got a tow.

Car cranked up like nothing happened the next day.

Thoughts? I was thinking the ignition switch, certainly electrical. Distributor maybe? Thanks for your help.
Start checking the electrical connections, power and ground wires. Start with the battery cables and work your to the starter and then inside cab to the fuse block. It wouldnt be the ignition switch or distributor if everytihng lost power. If the ign switch was bad you would still have headlights and other accessories.

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere on the main power supply side of the electricial system.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I believe there is a ground going from the battery to the radiator support check to make sure it is still good, after that start checking the fusable links.
Do you still have lights and such or is everything dead?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not try and turn on the headlights after the car lost power. I also could not get the hazard lights to turn on either. Also, it's hard to diagnose what's going on since it only happened once, then cranked up fine the next day. I've driven it a few times this week already and haven't had a single problem. Thanks for your help though, at least I'll know where to start looking if it happens again.

Y

·
0 Posts
you have a issue at your power junction block. Up on the pass front by the radiator..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had a similar situation with a too warm starter from being close to exhaust. On a long trip, I pulled up to a stop light when entering a town and she died. Tried to start and all it did was pull the battery down all the way immediately. Charged the battery, not realizing I was also giving starter time to cool down, and she started right up. Continued on trip and every time I stoped for some reason I just let the engine cool and she started right up. Any time I did not let it cool off, it drained battery. Changed starter and all problems went away.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It might a fusible link in the main power harness, sometime they don't burn all the way through and the only way to find it is pull on the wires and see if they stretch.:dontknow:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a similar issue years ago every time i would go across a railroad track the whole car would go dead. by the time i coasted to a stop it would restart and was good until i crossed another track. finally it quit altogether and i was able to find the problem. There is a ground from the engine to the frame, it was loose, shake it around and it would quit. Check the engine ground cable from the engine to the firewall.

·
Registered
535 Posts
years ago I had a 65 galaxie 500 that would do that from time to time. Months later I finally figured it out to be a faulty starter soleniod. Just a thought.

also my 60 El Camino was doing that, it was the ground to soleniod not tightened down good.

PFlo :beer:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check the bulkhead connection at the firewall. JMHO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts