El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a sleek hard bed cover that fits more like the newer trucks have. I can't believe no one makes a hard cover that fits flush like newer truck bed covers. I'm looking for a cover that will fit "IN" the bed frame top not "OVER" it. I'm not looking for a big bulky heavy looking cover that fits over the stainless steel rails. I know about Gaylord tops and I don't have question about their good quality. I just don't like what they have to offer. The frame rails are too nice to cover up! I have looked and searched on the net looking for anything like this having no luck. I can't believe these years are so beautiful and pupular no one makes anything for our El Camino's that does not change the lines of the car as the bulky over the rails bed covers do. I have to think they would sell well!

Am I the only one out there that is looking for something like this? I'm not concerned with water leak proof tops. I might have to have something custom made to fit? Any suguestions? I was even thinking of tap plastic making a correct size cut out for me. I would just have to think of supports on the inside of the frame rails to support it and also hold it down without coming airborn on the road. At the same time a retracktable hard bed cover would be way cool? :roll:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Morning Dave. After reading this post, I understand what your looking for. I have not seen any company that makes a flush fitting lid. That is a great idea though. I've been to a few places around here in the North East that sell lids and tops and almost none of them have anything that fits a 3rd gen Elky. Even if I go with a Gaylord that fits over the top of the rails, I'll have to special order it.
I'll keep looking for something like your looking for. I'd be interesed in that look. My bed's stainless and chrome is not show quality, but it is not something that I need to hide either.

Let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm having the same dilemma as 70ELCO, I don't like the idea of either removing the trim on the bedrails or worse, drilling holes in my car! I'd love to find something that fits without having to sacrifice the overall look of the bed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we are thinking along the same lines Iceman. I will try hard to find out some info on maybe a custom flush hard cover for our years.

Again Gaylord makes a nice quailty cover but, thats all I see out there. Its just hard for me to understand why I have no others choices. :-( This is 2003 and its not like Henry Ford is telling us we can have any color car we want as long as it's black! If I'm going to spend around $800 or more for a cover it will be money spent on "my" choice. If I have to spend a little more on a custom cover so be it. I will be getting something I want and won't have to settle for less in my mind.

Ever walk through a car show...You always find something that is different and stands out among the rest of the same old - same old. I also think it would be neat for people to ask.."Hey cool cover where did you get that?" or "I have never seen one like that before thats just what I have been looking for?"

My search is on!! :roll:

Dave

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I found a web site that sells the flush lids for modern trucks. It looks awesome and would love that look for my Elky. Check out Sport Truck Solutions
I have asked them, via email, if the flush lid comes for the El Camino. Have not heard back yet.
Maybe more inquires from other Elky owners??????

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Just what I'm talking about! Are those slick or what! Plus they look so modern and up to date.

Thanks '72Elky for the post and update!

I know that our bed tops are not square and flat. The end by our rear window does taper around in the corners but maybe they can adust for that. If they need one of our el camino's to use for the spec's I'm sure one of us is near by!

Plus if there is enough interest in these from other members it might bring a strong interest to produce these from the company that they never thought about? Hey I understand we are not driving around in Ford F-150's but there are still alot of us out there!

dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have seen quite a few elcamino's with covers that sit flush inside the bed rails, not over.
But after talking to all these cars' owners- Every single one of them was MADE by the owner.

I don't know exactly why there are none mass produced that way- they do look 100% better... But i also suspect that they would leak like a seive also... Which would kill the entire market except for show car owners who never get their cars wet. Remember, the majority of the elcaminos on the road today are still in use as work trucks hauling stuff....

If you wanted to make a cover like that- its fairly easy- They are basically angle iron around the inner bed edges, right below the trim- Then your choise of top materials. I have seen wood wrapped in vinyl(looked sharp) and i have seen sheet metal painted body color(looked super nice, but also obviously leaked)

Personally, when my tonneau starts wearing out, i'm going to replace it with a canvas type(similar to a convertible top).I recently saw an elky at a show with a cover like that and it looked sweet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On cardomain.com in the chev/el camino section there is a '70 elky that has a flush hard cover on his car from what I can see in one of the rear side view pictures of it. The car is on the bottom of the first page under the heading "70 el camino with new engine pics"

This is the first pics I have seen with what we are talking about. Wow it looks nice! I have asked him in his comments section about it but have not had any response yet.

Dave

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Evening Dave. Yep, I checked out that flush cover on cardomain.com. Please let me know what the owner says. I could not send him a "message" and didn't find his email address. Hopefully he will respond to you.
I do like the way it looks. I'm not sure from the pics, but I don't think that is a hard fiberglass lid. Looks more like a very tight fitting vinyl cover. I'm fine with that if it looks that good.

Please email me if you find anything out.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Lauren Engineering has those for the 5th gens. You could call and ask if they do or could produce those for your truck. They already make a bed cover shouldn't be too hard to make it fit the 70's trucks.

http://www.laureneng.com/

http://www.laureneng.com/flash/page10.html

:baa: But then what I know about Fiberglass wouldn't fill a leaflet :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts