El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 elky is pretty rough so I want to find another body/frame and move everything over, and I found a pretty nice 68 shell. Will my stuff fit? Are 68-72 bodies the same?Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Here are some random thoughts on differences from the back to the firewall?

The tailgate for the 72 has the backup lights, not in the bumper.
I think the door lock knobs are in different places for the 72 and therefore that may effect door panels.
The electric harness will likely have some differences.
The dash, gauges, AC and heating, vents/controls will likely have differences.
The key is on the column for the '72 and I think the dash for the '68.

Others are encouraged to add to this list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be moving pretty much everything over, dash, column, new wiring, gate etc... I just want to be sure that the parts will bolt on and that there's no big differences in frames, bodies, suspension etc... Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The frame is the same. Its the GM Heavy Duty #1942 unit. They only used that frame on 68-72 el Caminos and the 69-72 Pontiac Grand Prix.. John DeLoran wanted his baby to have the best frame available from GM at the time.. I'll never forget driving a 69 GP w/ 428-4 speed for the first time, WOW what a car!! That frame is why the 68-72 el Camino rides and handles like it does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I can use a 69-72 GP frame and the bumper brackets and everything will fit? Has anyone on here done this? Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Bumper brackets are different.

Be sure to document everything (receipts especially) when swapping frames/bodies. Many states have issues with the different VINs on each component.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the GP used a different frame than the el camino, probably could be made to work though.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'll second what 052 said about documenting everything..I do that with every car because things change and aftermarket parts are hard to find info on...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts