El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '68 has matching wheels and tires on all four corners.
But the body has a definite "Rake" or "Stance", nose is lower.
No funny shackles in the rear.
Is this stock, or has someone maybe messed with the front springs?
I was surprised to see how low the center of the frame sits under the engine.
Some of our local "Speed Bumps" are way too tall, I need to find the legal standard, might have to turn them in to get them cut down.
If I can't get that done, I may have to lift the front of the '68 a couple of inches.
But I don't want it looking like a 4x4 or "Gasser"!

Vinyl top trim pieces that go just above the bed, did not see them in Ecklers catalog.
Available from anyone?
Not doing a vinyl top, but might do a two-tone paint.

Anyone here good with photo-shop?
Would like to see a '68 with a Silver-Blue top and lower body, Red main body.
Looked at the whole 3rd Gen. album, nothing like that in there.
Red & Black two-tone, but no Silver-Blue & Red.

Have to repair the front fenders (probably just replace them), and repair the rear around the wheel arches.
Thinking that since I have no intention of ever selling it, it might be fun to flare the rear fenders a bit for fat tires.
Going for an early 70's custom look, Old School, but not prehistoric.
(Ah, well, I MIGHT like to find a 3-2's set for the engine some day)
No, I will not be putting in shag carpet or purple fake fur upholstery!
Any source for a nice set of steel fender flares? (I know, I'm going to catch %[email protected]!&#@ for even thinking of it)

One more.
"SS" hood, intended to allow under hood heat to escape better, or to pull cold air in?
If cold air in, was there a cold air intake that worked with it?
If yes, reproductions?

Just got the car, still making plans for it.
Not to be a drag racer, just a decent daily driver with a reasonable amount of "Go!" when needed.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
1. It sounds like your front springs may be weak. Or someone has put in dropped spindles.

2. NPD sells the trim, http://www.npdlink.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=id&search_str=C-12119-110A

3. Gilby does great photoshop.:poke:

4. 68-69 SS hood vents were to let out hot air, no cowl induction.

5. Also from your other thread the holes in tailgate are for chrome trim. There should be little 'nubs' sticking up along the gate for plastic retainer clips. PO may have removed those.

6. The Elky was based on the Chevelle but so was the Malibu. Yours has probably had the front clip replaced with a Malibu clip.

7. It sounds like you have a good ride and great plans for her. Keep up the good work, and remember 'baby steps'. Sometimes I get distracted by the big picture and go in too many directions at once, them nothing gets finished.

8. PICS, PICS and more PICS.:poke:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
The '68 has matching wheels and tires on all four corners.
But the body has a definite "Rake" or "Stance", nose is lower.
No funny shackles in the rear.
Is this stock, or has someone maybe messed with the front springs?
I was surprised to see how low the center of the frame sits under the engine.
Some of our local "Speed Bumps" are way too tall, I need to find the legal standard, might have to turn them in to get them cut down.
If I can't get that done, I may have to lift the front of the '68 a couple of inches.
But I don't want it looking like a 4x4 or "Gasser"!

Vinyl top trim pieces that go just above the bed, did not see them in Ecklers catalog.
Available from anyone?
Not doing a vinyl top, but might do a two-tone paint.

Anyone here good with photo-shop?
Would like to see a '68 with a Silver-Blue top and lower body, Red main body.
Looked at the whole 3rd Gen. album, nothing like that in there.
Red & Black two-tone, but no Silver-Blue & Red.

Have to repair the front fenders (probably just replace them), and repair the rear around the wheel arches.
Thinking that since I have no intention of ever selling it, it might be fun to flare the rear fenders a bit for fat tires.
Going for an early 70's custom look, Old School, but not prehistoric.
(Ah, well, I MIGHT like to find a 3-2's set for the engine some day)
No, I will not be putting in shag carpet or purple fake fur upholstery!
Any source for a nice set of steel fender flares? (I know, I'm going to catch %[email protected]!&#@ for even thinking of it)

One more.
"SS" hood, intended to allow under hood heat to escape better, or to pull cold air in?
If cold air in, was there a cold air intake that worked with it?
If yes, reproductions?

Just got the car, still making plans for it.
Not to be a drag racer, just a decent daily driver with a reasonable amount of "Go!" when needed.

A friend of mine made room for bigger tires on his 64 Malibu by grafting in a pair of wheel well openings from a spare set of front fenders into the rear quarter panels for the rear wheels. looked stock, gave all the room he needed, and you had to look close to figure out what had been done to the car. Have someone photoshop this mod for you, you'll see how cool it really is.

:poke:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Front springs may have been cut. Couple that with being original and the front of the car will sit really close to the ground. Mine did till I put stock springs back on. Raised it almost 4".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts