El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the middle of deciding how to add a trailer hitch to the new frame I've acquired. my old frame had one but it looked like a back-yard weld in job and I have no idea what "class" it would be considered. don't they still make trailer hitch kits for 68-72's? along with that, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to box in the rear section of the frame where the bed sits...any thoughts? that c-channel back there just looks weak and if I want to pull something or put a lot of weight back there I don't want to have to worry about it not being strong enough. I'll be using coil spring bags and air shocks to help everything out. along with the biggest front/rear sway bars you can get.

· Registered
449 Posts
I have a 70 elky, and I boxed my rear frame for strength. I used 2x3 box tubing and cut one 3" side off, to make a c channel. It fit inside my frame with a little help from a hammer. I put it in with the open side of the channel in, to create a box, i also made it longer than the opening to give it more strength, just hammer it in,then weld it up,prep it, paint it, then spray it with undercoating. It looks like the factory made it. Good luck

· Registered
342 Posts
If you're planning on welding the c-channel in the car, then make sure you weld a little at a time and go from left side to right side so you heat the frame evenly. Weld no more than 2-3" at a time and move around (again evenly from side to side) until the entire thing is welded solid. Welding heat will tweak a frame quickly out of square if you are not careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.