El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 wont pass NV smog.. At low idle it's fine, at high idle CO2 is over 11.0 and should be under 4? They are telling me to replace my carburetor, but the car runs fine..? What to do, what to do...ecchhh...:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
2 bbl? 4 bbl? AFB? Holley? What are you running?
With your symptoms the first thing I would check would be the float level - its easy and its free. If you are rich off idle if the float level is OK then you are heading into main jets/metering rods (depending on what kind of carb).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 bbl? 4 bbl? AFB? Holley? What are you running?
With your symptoms the first thing I would check would be the float level - its easy and its free. If you are rich off idle if the float level is OK then you are heading into main jets/metering rods (depending on what kind of carb).
I think its a Rochester quadra jet..having a friend take a look at the float level and he's said somethin about the accelerator pump? I'm lost on carb stuff (till now):???:

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
accelerator pump only works to add fuel when you move the accelerator linkage. Steady throttle it has no effect.

·
Registered
463 Posts
yep, when ya repair the carb just replace the float. also make sure to replace the float needle and seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts