El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have thoughts on how to repair this? The cowl area itself looks fine with the exception of where the water used to stand at the bottom of the windshield rest area. Also, i see there are patch panels for 67s. I'm just wondering if theres an easier way to fix this area without totally taking out the cowl and the dash panel. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/FUZEMASTER/?action=view&current=DSCN1345.jpg

:anyone:

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
You might want to buy the panel and then just cut out the bad part of yours. Trim the new panel down to fit your cut out area and butt weld, grind, prime and paint.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
My '66 had leaks from under the windshield. Removed the trim and glass, cleaned up the windshield rest area and basically patched it. I used POR-15 and some patching material they provided, like fiberglass. The POR-15 is thick enough where it did a pretty good job.

No welder was available, and I'm sure a metal patch is better... it's a Texas car so it doesn't see much rain. :texas:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
After first coat of POR-15, lay in the fiberglass mesh and shape it to fit the windshield rest area, then follow up with another coat, after all that dries a 3rd coat and it will be pretty solid. The paint seems to have an epoxy base or something and it really holds up well. You have to GRIND it off if you don't like it. :smileyb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess i have a few things on my plate. First, My restoration plan went something like 1) drive train, 2) interior, 3) body. Well i have the engine & transmission out and since the radiator support and one of the fenders and inners were so rusted, i decided to take it all off and do it while it was apart. Now i'm reaching into the inside too. Another good plan goes to hell! Another thing is of all the things I've done before, I've never taken a dash OUT. There is a first time for everything and i may do it anyway in the future but the more i dig into the interior now, the further i leave my plan behind (but again, if the dash needs to be replaced, its certainly easier to do it now). I just want to stay focused. Has anyone used the patch panels that they have in OPGI? ( http://www.opgi.com/p/steel-body-panels/10740/26/CH26373.html ) I cant tell from the picture if it will mend what needs to be mended. Thanks again for the comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts