El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has an assembly manual to tell me if the '68 EC SS396/350 w/M21 is supposed to be a Muncie or a Hurst shifter?

Getting down to some final negotations on a real nice specimen and the doc's I have do not spell out which shifter came in it from the factory.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on, somebody must have some documentation on this!

·
Registered
432 Posts
From the factory, I believe you will find that the shifters as well as the transmissions were Muncie. Some dealers would for a fee, installed Hurst shifters as the Muncie shifters were less than ideal. If your transmission is a four speed Muncie, you can bet that the shifter was also... Good Luck

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rix. :)

I thought that was the case but from what I remember I saw a few that came from the factory (or what I thought was a factory installed) with Hearst shifters.

I probably saw them after the dealer received them and installed the Hreast shifters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From the factory, I believe you will find that the shifters as well as the transmissions were Muncie. Some dealers would for a fee, installed Hurst shifters as the Muncie shifters were less than ideal. If your transmission is a four speed Muncie, you can bet that the shifter was also
x2
I have a 69 Manual. There are pictures of the Muncie/Saginaw shifter and no mention of a Hurst. I believe if it had a Muncie trans you got "Muncie" on the handle and Sag trans cars got a plain handle.
Russ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts