El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve has 3 more '68 elkie kits available (after me getting 2 more) if you want one. here's the link. Be sure and call him (eves) and he'll give you the kit price ($14.00 on these) and shipping costs, and hold it for you. These kits are hard to find! You've seen them in my build thread for Moose's 69 model.

http://www.resinrealm.net/Star/STARModels.html

Steve has the official Keyser Sose Okey Dokey! Great guy, great prices, and excellent service.

:bigups:

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Done.

Keyser I now need to make this into a 69.

What's needed and ideas for acquisition?

Thanks

only thing you need besides the elkie kit is a 1/25 scale 69 chevelle for the front bumper, which is the only real difference (the turn signals are in different places, do a search for pics of front bumper on 68 and 69 elkie and you'll see). That is the only real difference, so if that doesn't bother you, won't need the 69 chevelle kit. Those are pretty common, so can order online pretty much anywhere. All the other details are just a matter of lookin and using your imagination. If you need to mask between colors, use scotch tape, makes a clean sharp edge.

Can reference Moose's 69 elkie build thread on here for build tips if you want.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=60127&highlight=elkie+model

post pics as you build it! feel free to ask advice/questions too

:poke:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hey Keyser I recieved my models.

I bought a 69 chevelle SS from ebay to get the bumper.

so now I'm hooked. I need everything but the body color and clear.
I have some color match from automotivetouchups for my body color.

QUESTION: I like to internet shop for the rest of my supplies.......I need glue and some set of standard color paint. Maybe find some red line tires other stuff....foil sheets etc.

Where should I shop to not get ripped off but have a decent selection of what I need?

Thanks in advance!

I did find modelcargarage and bought a few things like flock for the carpet and the photo etched chevelle kit.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you caught the bug huh? Congrats.

all of it is around, but you can pretty much find everything else you need on this site, as they carry most of it.

https://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

As for the paints, (glue too, I use the testor's liguid glue in the oblong shaped black container, put it on with a toothpick) walmart, Michael's, HobbyLobby, and places like that have the lil bottles of testors paints. For the primer and semi-glosses, etc, I just use Dupli-Color spay paints from the local parts store.

Use fingernail boards to sand with. (lower on page when this link opens)

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=90993

can look thru all my model posts on here for other tips/tricks

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey Rob, you mentioned redline tires for your 69 model, well, you've stepped in it now! LOL

You are in the process of discovering the true cost of getting the details right. You already had to buy a 69 chevelle kit just for the front bumper, now, if you want the redline tires, you have to buy another kit.

I had to look this up in one of my Scale Auto magazines (check it out online at scaleautomag.com), cause I knew I had seen them, just couldn't remember where. The only place I know of that you can get the redline tires is in the Revell kit of the Royal Pontiac 1966 GTO. There have been several issues of this kit, and the ONLY ONE that has the redline tires is kit #85-4167, issued in 1999. The best way to get this specific kit is to call Steve at Star Models and see if he has the Revell kit #85-4167 of the 66 goat.

They reissued this kit in 2013, as kit #85-4037, and it has the Hurst wheels, but NOT the redline tires, so you need that one kit specifically. Fortunately, chances are really good that Steve has one.

On the plus side, if you make the pics below bigger, you can see that they not only have the red lines, but good markings for the correct F70-14 size you need.

Look on the bright side! You didn't have to buy yet another kit to get a SBC, since the 68 elkie and the chevelle are both big blocks! You can build the 69 chevelle (use the 68 front bumper on it, only a purist will notice), and the 66 GTO as practice before you build the elkie. I also happen to know that (according to Scale Auto mag) this GTO kit has THE BEST rendition of the tri-power 389 ever made. Lots of all the correct details on that motor.

And when you get all 3 models built, then you'll have to do something with all those left over parts! Maybe go on the Star Model site, under the resin kits drop down box, and click on FLINTSTONE. When that opens, click on one of the galleries to see pics of the resin kits he makes (close to 300 :eek3: ). Use those extra parts to make a street rod, gasser Gremlin, or even a belly tank Bonneville racer. Or you can send them all to me :wink2:.

Anyway, wanted to let you know where to get those redline tires before you pull your hair out lookin for them. (PM sent to let you know about this post)

:banghead:

OH! Also meant to tell you. Instead of using the Bare-Metal chrome foil for the chrome trim on your models, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some of that chrome lookin tape used on heat/AC ducting (get the stuff that comes with paper backing on the tape). Works the same as the Bare Metal, but for the same price, you'll get enough that your grandkids will still be using it on the models they build. Or can fix the chrome trim part of the arm rests on you elkie, or..... I posted an article from Scale Auto mag about how to apply it (just below the fingernail boards on this link http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=90993 ). Use a single edged razor blade to trim it once applied. One thing I have changed since I posted that is that now I put a coat or 2 of clear on the color coat of the model and sand smooth, then apply the chrome tape on the trim, then another coat or 2 of clear. The clear protects it and keeps it sealed and helps prevent it from coming off.

Ya gotta have smart brains man!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks for all the details.

Sharing those Smart Brains:nanawrench:

I got some redlines from eBay.

They are for the future as I don't have redlines on my car just yet lol.

I have a ss hood in the shed so I also found someone selling a flat hood for $5.

Last I need to find a small block and a bench seat

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sbc's are easy to find, but will have to get a 55-62 GM model kit for the bench seat, or make one yourself, unless you can find one on fleabay.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ok.

(2) 68 elkie ss model
(1) 69 chevelle ss for the front bumper grille
68-69 chevelle flat hood (non-ss)
Redline tires
SBC with carb
Bench seat from NOVA.
Gauge faces from eBay.

About $100 in supplies like paints, glues, solvents, photo-etch, brushes, etc.

:yell:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i need some 'smart brains' assistance if possible.

my 69 bumpers are too long and headlight difference.

if I cut apart some bumpers and put them back together plus trim some things off like bumper guards is there a way to then repair the chrome?
do i try chrome paint or?

also I am MISSING THE BIG PICTURE when it comes to the photo etched parts.
how exactly do you use them? maybe there's a youtube....i tried some but it didnt work.

thanks in advance.

I got my bench seat from 70-72 Nova it matches my bench perfectly. split with headrests. just needs small adjustment at the tunnel to fit perfect.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i need some 'smart brains' assistance if possible.

my 69 bumpers are too long and headlight difference.

if I cut apart some bumpers and put them back together plus trim some things off like bumper guards is there a way to then repair the chrome?
do i try chrome paint or?

also I am MISSING THE BIG PICTURE when it comes to the photo etched parts.
how exactly do you use them? maybe there's a youtube....i tried some but it didnt w
ork.

thanks in advance.

I got my bench seat from 70-72 Nova it matches my bench perfectly. split with headrests. just needs small adjustment at the tunnel to fit perfect.

once you cut them off of the lil "tree" they all come one, use a water based glue to hold them to the model. just a dab with a toothpick to appy it. get water-based glue at micheal's or hobby lobby (they use it to attach sequins and crystals to cloth, so is plenty strong enough!).

nice thing about wb glue, if you get too much, get it in the wrong place, or something like that, a dampened Qtip will take it right off.

WB glue is also PERFECT for putting the glass in, cause most of it dries clear.

thanx for the tip about the bench seat in 72 nova, but if I did that, would have FOUR 72 novas by now! :eek3:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
what about the chrome.....any good way to 'rechrome' my bumpers.

its not a straight swap from 69 model as bumpers are slightly different.

so if I piece it together is there a way to rechrome.....thanks.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
www.chrometechusa.com

or paint them or try using the chrome tape

those bumpers should swap straight across if both models are the same scale, I've done it on Moose's model. Or is one 1/25 scale and one 1/24?

:dontknow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts