El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems uncomplicated but it sure has be stumped.

So first a little background information. My elky was bought as a father son project when I was 17. I proceeded to work on it every weekend with my father until my mother decided I should no longer live with her (parents are separated). I left and was unable to keep the engine turning on the regular. Five years past and yesterday I decided to give it a go.

Cleaned up the starter motor connections and got the thing turning. Poured a little gas in the carb and got it firing a bit. Put some fresh gas in the tank as it was empty and cranked it a bit.

So far I cannot get gas from the pump to the carb. I can suck gas from the tank, thats for sure. I ended up with a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth due to that but it was worth the sacrifice I would say. I can also blow from the pump's out line thru to the carb. I found a small hole in some of the rubber which could have led to it sucking air, still nothing. Pulled off the fuel pump and worked it a bit and it sounds like it should be working well enough. Even went out and bought a new one to try it out and still nothing.

This leads me to think that the cam/push rod could some how be messed up. This doesn't make a lot of logical sense to me either because after all it has just been sitting and last time i checked metal didn't bend or wear down or bend much from just sitting.

The car was running pretty well when it was parked. I am confused. Enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Hope you all can clue me into something I am not thinking about. Much thanks.

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
You can hook a vacuum gauge to the pump INLET and crank it. It should pull 4 -7 inches of Mercury.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Run a hose from the pump outlet side into a can/bucket and have someone crank the engine over to see if either pump is working but be extremely careful with open fuel and sparks. I personally don't like this method but it will tell you if the pump works. Also I would pull the fuel filter and check it first as old gas turns to a type of varnish after sitting for a long time.
If you have access to an electric pump you could splice it into the line bypassing the mechanical pump altogether. Just be carefull, fire sux.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@464elky Thanks, i will procure a vacuum pump. Any you would recommend for this purpose?

@centex396 I already tried to pump into a bottle and can tell you the out line is dry as a desert. I don't have much money at the current time so I was trying to do this as simply as possible so an electric pump is a bit out of the question. the tank was left empty. with me being able to suck/blow thru the system do you still think the filter could be the issue?

I am currently debating selling the project as I just got my first job in over a year (stupid economy) for a commuter to get to work. I have maybe a hundred dollars total I can sacrifice to get it running. I figure whether i want to keep it or sell it it is worth more running. Which is what got me working on it.

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
you don't need a vacuum pump - you need a vacuum gauge.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So, what I'm hearing is the out line of the pump does not pump any gas when the motor is turning over. I'm going to presume there's plenty of gas in the tank. Have you traced your fuel line from the pump back to the tank, to see where their might be rubber that has deterioriated or an inline fuel filter that is complicating things? I think you said you could draw gas from the tank manually, and it's extremely unlikely your rod actuator has a problem (assuming v8 chevy here), so the most likely scenario (if all this is true) is your fuel pump is bad.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
464elky, drrr i was thinking two separate thoughts when I typed that drrr

cjlaketexoma, Basically thats what is happening. I can get it personally all the way to the rubber that fits to the pump using my mouth easily. I checked the rubber near the gas tank and it seemed to be good, no signs of break down really. So unless some of the metal piping has gone bad inbetween the gas line should be good. also like I said i could easily get gas into my mouth sucking from the rubber that should be attached to the pump. I also bought a new pump yesterday and hooked that one up and it did about the same as the pump that was on there in the first place. With both the old and new pump I had tried cranking it with the out line going to a bottle, neither produced any fluid of any sort.

It is a v8

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok. So, if you take the pump off, the actuator rod should slide down to the base of the opening that the pump fits into. It's always a pain, for me, to get the rod back up so I can put the pump in place. I've never tried this, but I suppose you could make sure the rod is moving up and down off the cam lobe, just to make sure it's doing its thing. Heck, unless the cam's broke, it must be moving up and down with the cam action, but who was it that said 'if you eliminate the possible, then the impossible, however improbable..' or something like that. So, I wouldn't stick my finger in there and hold the rod while somebody turns over the motor, but maybe something like a paint stir stick, and make sure the rod is going up and down.? When I went throught my 68, I took out the tank, and if you look back in my posts somewhere you'll see pictures of the 'filter' that is actually INSIDE the tank, but, you are getting gas, so that wouldn't be the problem.? Or maybe it is. There are different styles of the fuel pump too, some for a different rod setup, I'm not sure the difference, but seems I ran into that sometime in the past. Make for-sure you have the right pump for that motor, or the actuator rod may not be pushing on it like it needs to. For example, if the rod is on the 'high' part of the cam lobe, and thus the actuator rod is pushed 'farthest' into the opening, it should be hard for you to put the pump in, because you have to actually 'pump' the pump to get it where it needs to be to put the bolts in.. making sense?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the easy way to get the rod in is by using a dentist type pick tool. I use something similar that came with my soldering set.

just bought a fuel system test gauge to be scientific about it. either way a bunch should be answered when I can figure out how I am going to adapt the tiny little barb thing thats on the adapter (probably meant for some honda civic fuel line psssshhhhh) to my beefy fuel line.

yes it is a huge pain to get the fuel pump on, some real fanangaling which i must admit results in more then a bit of name calling. the pumps look exactly the same and I am pretty sure are more or less the same for a 305-350 engine sizes atleast from what I can figure out with the research i have been doing. I have the original fuel pump that came with the car, the one I put on when I got the car, and this new one. All three have looked the exact same.

back to being bent over a fender to try to make some sort of adapting mechanism for this gauge

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
On the front of the block - just in front of the fuel pump there are two bolt holes. the upper one should have a bolt in it. that hole is drilled and tapped all the way to the pump actuator rod. take the bolt out, it should be fairly short and replace it with a long one. while holding the rod up snug the bolt down until it holds the rod in place. Install the new pump and switch the bolts back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay so the gauge is jumping up to about 6 or seven.. so the pump is good, also the cam is good.

However I am still at square one as there is gas that can flow freely to the pump... time to put the out flow and give it a real good crank over I guess...

·
Premium Member
12,546 Posts
How long are you cranking it over? Can you blow through the rubber hose and hear the bubbles in the tank? It's also possible that the sock on the fuel sender unit in the tank is clogged, you said you got a mouthful but that don't take much (unless you have a mouth the size of mine)
Most of the time once you got fuel flowing from the tank (in your case by mouth) it will try and syphion the rest out, you have to stop in from leaking it all out.
Donny

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jacking up the back end will make dang sure the fuel inlet line at the pump is lower than the fuel level in the tank. Fuel should get flowin' and keep on flowin' - if it doesn't you may have to drop the fuel tank and take a look at where the fuel line connects, and maybe take out the sending unit and check out what's going on in there. I think it's down to your pump is sucking air, somehow, somewhere. take a new piece of fuel line, connect it to steel line up under the rear wheel area where the rubber hose connects from the tank, stick it in a gas can, and see if the pump will suck it out of that.... I know, I know, buy more stuff, easy to say, expensive to do..

and cool tip on the bolt-hole 464! I might have even known that about 35 years ago, back in auto mechanics class. Long forgotten, if I ever did~~

·
Premium Member
12,546 Posts
I've put wheel bearing grease on a cold rod with my finger and push it up, it will hold it up long enough to get the fuel pump in!!!
Donny

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i got her running and let her idle out for about 30 minutes. thanks for all the help guys, with the new pump in and me cranking/little gas in the carb it got enough suction to finally kick over and after a few stalls it was all good.

little smoke out the back but that went away after a few. going to put some fuel system cleaner in it tomorrow and put new brake fluid in when I can have an extra body around to pump the brakes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
basically all the rubber was no more then 5 years old, when I let her sit all I had left to do was install a brake power booster and cosmetics/interior. I am thinking about getting a compression tester to check if anything possibly rotted or was bad from the git go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts