El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an early build 68 SS396 according to info I can find it was built sometime in November 67. I had a hood hinge go bad and break on me so I ordered a set of OEM quality set from SS396 made by Classic Headquarters. My bolt spacing on the hood is about 12 3/4 inches so I ordered the Hinges for the 12.25 inch spacing because it was closer than the 14 inch spacing that 69 and as the web page states any factory replacement hood for 68. Well the 12.25 hinge does not allow me adjust the hood back enough so I can close the hood. My question is did early build 68 hoods have a different hinge bolt pattern then latter built vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
that is a good question. I know that Gm often used left over parts from the prior year to get the next years production underway. Could it be that you have a 67 hood hinge on your 68? I also know that aftermarket parts do not always meet Factory standards. lastly, it might be that the company sent you the wrong hinge. 68 owners might help you out more on this one but, it might be to your advantage to search for a used GM hinge for your 68.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Early '68 El Camino / Chevelle hinges are 12-3/4" center-to-center for the bolts on the top plate. Most '68s are 12-1/4" c-to-c. '69s are 14-1/2" c-to-c.

My '68 SS was built the second week of January 1968 and has 12-3/4" bolt spacing.

Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's everyone I have sent Hood Hinge an email, and I will try and get numbers off of them tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not find a part number on either hinge and the rivets are different on both. I have had contact with Willie via e mail and was about to send him the hinges before I discovered they were not the same. I am going to send him pictures to see if he can tell if they are both original or is one/ both aftermarket before I send them to him. Here are the hinges.
Hinge 3.jpg Hinge 4.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts