El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off for a while, my '68 was in the body shop. Here are some photos of the progress. First picture is how I got it less drivetrain. Second one is after it was sandblasted, what a mess! Third one is with the 350/4speed installed, fourth one is in my driveway today in guide coat and new brakes/wheels/tires.

I have to re-install the cleaned up tank and new fuel line, then it's driveable. Lot of rust for a California car, but all fixed now. 2 fenders, quarter patches and lots of extra holes, plus a tailgate. It goes back for paint in June, Dodge "plum crazy" purple, then the re-assembly commences! Why do I do this stuff?

Hans

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Excellent. Why do any of us do this? We're mutants but wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got it running with the restored original tank and a new (sectioned) fuel line. There was no way to put the full length 3/8 line in without pulling the body off. That ain't happening!
It runs awesome, 1974 350 4 bolt main, standard bore with 10-1 Keith Black Forged pistons, Eagle rods, forged crank, World 200 cc heads, Edelbrock single plane manifold, 1971 Holley 780 CFM carb off of a LT-1 Z-28 (worth more than the rest of the engine!), Hooker 1/78" long tube headers, and a hot Lunati cam. Gonna drive it tomorrow, at least around the neighborhood to check out the four speed Muncie M-20.

Is there a way to post a video? I have photo posting site if that's the way to go. It sounds awesome, even with the cobbled together exhaust. Onward!

Hans

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing just occurred to me. How much power will the base 10 bolt rear end handle? Sierra gears here in Sacramento say they can build a positraction gear set in any ratio I want that will handle 400 horsepower, but that seems at the limit for such a small rear end. I ran a 1964 Chevelle 12 bolt posi behind a built Ram Air 3 in a GTO because I kept busting the corporate 10 bolt, even the axles!
Let me know what you folks think.

Hans

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, making good progress. It is back at the body shop, ready for paint in about a week. Next is the "plumb crazy" purple after a few details and cleanup

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dash and firewall will be next (satin black), the hood and doors come off first. I still need to re-finish the tailgate hinges before it goes back together. the shop will hang the doors, hood and tailgate with the appropriate rubber stops when its painted (seriously, don't forget the stops, ask me how I know!), then it gets delivered and the big job begins.

Hans

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Major progress! Paint is on the car, some small details left (dash, rear of the cab, etc...). Here are the photos. I'll have it in my shop next week, then the fun begins. I de-contented the body so only the wheel opening trim, the front marker lights, bed rail chrome and windshield/back glass stainless will go back on. I have not decided on the door trim, it looks really good with out it right now. I'm real happy.

Hans

Attachments

Reactions: Old Bear
1 - 13 of 13 Posts