El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ride is softer than i like. the car lists like a garbage truck on an on-ramp. with a bench seat it isnt fun to drive. the back end saggs. i get complaints from the rear tires on almost every turn i accelerate out of.

the rear end is a 10 bolt 4 link coil spring suspension. the first and last rear coil spring suspension on any early chevelle. could i maybe get some stiff/tall coil-overs? i want the top edge of the tire to be visible like on a lot of pics i see. stock apperance is desired along with improved handling.

any tips or tricks (besides air shocks/bags. i already know about those) would be great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Air lifts (bags) whould be cheaper(?), easier and better than coil overs. That or just get some new springs.

·
1,867 Posts
Buy new stock springs for a Monte Carlo or Malibu then get air lift bags. When you are not carring a load the bags are not used(min 4 psi). But when you load it they are very nice to have. I like the top of my tires to sit at the very edge of the fender.

·
164 Posts
Moog 5399 rear coil springs ... these would be the stock replacment rear springs for the 327cu and the 396cu 1968 elky's.

I have these on my 1972 and they are great. Also, a set of decent shocks (KYB Gas-A-Just come to mind at ~$30 each from Summit Racing) will help out with the handling.

The 5399 spring has a rate of 166lbs/in

Lots of guys run Moog CC501 rear coils, they have a rate in the 170lbs/in range and similiar specs to the 5399. The 5399 can be hard to find, but I am really pleased with them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts