El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just getting a feeler out there but i was curious as to how much my show car is roughly worth. It was given to me by my dad for my 16th birthday and i cant afford to run it anymore. id like to know how much its worth so i can sell it, here is the information about the car that i was given to by my dad.
its a 68 ss numbers match 396 elCamino Malibu. the car has 37,xxx original miles. its a show car with too many trophies to list and rust-less as elky is a garage queen. we put a new 3 inch flowmaster exhaust in it, and has new interior. We put a 800 edelbrock carburetor it and new heads with platinum valves. new scat crank, wiseco pistons 60 over. 11½ : 1 compression, new crane cam 282 duration. it has a 625 intake lift with a 725 exhaust. as it was my dads all this was done as a refresher just before being given to me and i have no clue what it does to the car. i know its a rare find but i have no clue what its worth so i was just putting a feeler out there. -a

·
Registered
83 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this but the mods that have been made to the truck in all likelihood have hurt the resale value of it.

In a pure stock form using current auction prices as a guideline, you are looking at somewhere ~$40k.

With all of mods it is more like $25 - $30k unless you find a buyer that is looking for a 68 EC with all of the mods that is willing to pay more.

Pics would help greatly in estimating the worth of the truck.

Others may disagree with me on the pricing. This is what I estimate without seeing either the truck or some pics.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
. . . its a 68 ss numbers match 396 elCamino Malibu. . . .
In the US the truck would be either an SS or a Malibu -- not both. If it is as you described, does that indicate that it was built in Canada? (I'm not aware of a Canada assembly plant.) Is the VIN 138808xxxxxxx ?

I agree with IFLY re resale value. If it is in #2 condition, it might bring $30k.

It's great that you have a true '68 SS as only 5190 were made. Do post some pix.

Greg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It might be better to pull the motor and sell that buy itself and install a stock, low compression, 454 truck motor to make it street friendly.. The more stock you get it the more you should be able to get for it. I agree with IFLY that those mods hurt resale value..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably don't want to hear this but the mods that have been made to the truck in all likelihood have hurt the resale value of it.

In a pure stock form using current auction prices as a guideline, you are looking at somewhere ~$40k.

With all of mods it is more like $25 - $30k unless you find a buyer that is looking for a 68 EC with all of the mods that is willing to pay more.

Pics would help greatly in estimating the worth of the truck.

Others may disagree with me on the pricing. This is what I estimate without seeing either the truck or some pics.

Hope this helps.
i have all original items still because if the buyer wanted it back to original wed just put a good weekend into it and do what we were able too. we just did that because my dad wanted to spruce it up a little. the exhaust tho wouldnt be as my dads friend wanted the pipes in trade of something for the slant back. thank you though you've actually given me an estimate as to what its worth but i know this is an american site im wondering if that was in cad or us

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the US the truck would be either an SS or a Malibu -- not both. If it is as you described, does that indicate that it was built in Canada? (I'm not aware of a Canada assembly plant.) Is the VIN 138808xxxxxxx ?

I agree with IFLY re resale value. If it is in #2 condition, it might bring $30k.

It's great that you have a true '68 SS as only 5190 were made. Do post some pix.

Greg
Yes 13880

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill post some photos of the elky under my account, i have photos that ive had printed out so ill just scan those and put them on. its in the garage right now and my lighting in there isnt the best

·
Registered
83 Posts
The prices that I quoted are USD.

FYI, the Malibu emblem posted in the pic was never OEM installed for US manufactured cars. Additionally, the paint color is incorrect for an El Camino. It appears that somewhere along the way the truck has been painted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The prices that I quoted are USD.

FYI, the Malibu emblem posted in the pic was never OEM installed for US manufactured cars. Additionally, the paint color is incorrect for an El Camino. It appears that somewhere along the way the truck has been painted.
from what i believe the malibu editions were a trim and interior upgrade but do correct me if im wrong. and the truck has been painted as it was a more dark blue when we got it. i wanted it light blue though as that is my favorite colour and easily gotten as my father works in the autobody industry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There was never a "Malibu" edition of any El Camino. The Malibu was a series of Chevelle.

The things that are being referenced here are things that were installed by someone other than the factory. There were several shades of blue available as OEM colors, however the shade indicated in the pic was not an available OEM color.

Based on what has been shared thusfar, your truck is a sub $30k truck due to much of the OEM equipment has been removed including paint, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to think the same way....originality is worth more.

However, as a casual observer of market trends in the collector market, "restomods" are bringing in top dollar too. Mods to increase reliability, horsepower and performance, improving braking distance by running a modern high end brake system for safety, etc. do not necessarily hurt resale value.

You have a beautiful car, no doubt at all. Get it professionally appraised. Check auction sites for sold compatible vehicles for market prices.

My opinion on price...being it was your fathers...PRICELESS!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agree. Restomods done correctly bring big bucks but only the ones that have big bucks invested. As I follow all of the auctions pretty closely I am amazed at what some of the restomods are getting.

At the end of the day, you are either a restomod guy, an originality guy or just a driver that provides enjoyment for the owner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Totally agree with you IFLY.
Based on your signature Elky, I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you’re an Originality guy.

One thing we all have in common is we’re all Elky guys and gals. We’re a unique class.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There was never a "Malibu" edition of any El Camino. The Malibu was a series of Chevelle.

The things that are being referenced here are things that were installed by someone other than the factory. There were several shades of blue available as OEM colors, however the shade indicated in the pic was not an available OEM color.

Based on what has been shared thusfar, your truck is a sub $30k truck due to much of the OEM equipment has been removed including paint, etc.
There's a ton of Malibu El Caminos out there. I have an all original '68 with the L79 327, Muncie M21, 4.10 posi 12bolt rear end that I bought from a friend who bought it new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts