El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my ElCamino and have found several repairs that were done poorly in the 44 years of use. I have a issue that I incovered a week ago when I pulled the steering wheel. The previous owner installed self tapping screws through the stock wheel into the steering wheel adapter. I am just glad I trailered the car home. The threads are chewed up but I think I can retap them just to move the car from my drive way to the garage were the build will begin.

1> Does anybody know what the thread size is to hold the steering wheel to the adapter?

2. I looked into buying a new wheel for the car but most of the steering wheel adapter I find say for 1969 up. I need a adapter for a 1968. Does anybody have a suggestions. I really don't want to spend $300 on a steering wheel when the car will be in the garge for the build.

Thanks for your help.:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
Maybe I'm confused on the question, but I have a Grant steering wheel on mine and the adapter kit they sell fits right on the shaft?:dontknow:
Donny

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
I think the grant adapter has 1/4 X 20 threads for the three bolts that hold the wheel on. Pick up an adapter and try it would be my suggestion. If it won't fit return it and your out nothing. If it does you got a 20$ repair.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information on the Grant wheel adapter. That was the brand in question that stated for 69 and up vehicles and the local store had to special order the part in. Everthing I touch on this car, I hear Cha-Ching due to past owners.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the grant adapter has 1/4 X 20 threads for the three bolts that hold the wheel on. Pick up an adapter and try it would be my suggestion. If it won't fit return it and your out nothing. If it does you got a 20$ repair.
Agreed, 90% of auto stores will give you money back if the part isnt right, (granted you dont break it) special order or not.:beer:

Everthing I touch on this car, I hear Cha-Ching due to past owners.
I hear you on that, when i purchesed mine all it needed was a floor, but that was two tail housing (that they dont make), both quarters (wich werent even close to fitting), a hood, and lowered fenders . After awhile you get to the point your knee deep and have to make the descision to just jump in or try and walk slowly. :???:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a grant wheel on a 66, auto parts store had to order a specific hub, but it was for a pre-69 column, so they must be available. Although, this was about 8 years ago, maybe not avail any longer? :dontknow:

It (old hub) didn't survive my refurb project or I'd just mail it to you....
Thanks for your info on the hub. I had them look one up in the Grant catalog and nothing showed up. I think I need to do some research.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a part number on the Grant online catalog for 1968 El Camino.Part #3162 Standard Installation Kit
Diameter
Color
MSRP
$28.05

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the difference has to do with the lock plate for the steering wheel.if you are only needing to secure the wheel through the build.just rethread the adapter to 5/16 and enlarge the three holes to match.the horn kit will cover it up any way.if you are going to keep the wheel heli coil the holes and install the 1/4 20 bolts that belong there.then you have better threads than factory.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the good ideas carl. I was thinking of re-tapping the threads and putting the wheel on to move the car during the build but not drive the car with the current wheel. :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts