El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys......has anyone "here" done a LS3 conversion in a 69 El Co??? I searched but didn't see any articles unless I'm blind....LOL!

I have a LS3 with only 39,000 miles on her out of my 2010 SS Camaro, as I'm dropping in a 427 LSX TT in my Camaro for street/strip action. So I figure that will give more HP and better gas mileage over my ZZ4 350. I have seen some kits.....but they don't seem complete. Can anyone point me in right direction?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Several of us have done LS swaps into A-body El Camino vehicles. True, there are no kits, at least none that I've seen. But Holley covers the 68-72 EC's well with engine mounts, oil pans and headers which are some of the tough spots for these swaps. Driveline angles are made easy with the Holley forward bias engine mounts. Fitting the trans without floor surgery is also easy with their mounts.

After that, a Cold Case radiator with e-fans helped. I also added an external transmission fluid cooler with a seven inch fan. PCM is mounted above the glove box but below the dash top cover. I had a new driveshaft built for the 4L60E but reused my original trans crossmember

Lots of little things but we can get you through it all.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rick,
I have a buddy that wants to do the LS setup in his 1970 El camino.

Where did you find the part numbers for the Holly oil pan & bias motor mounts to fit the 68 - 72 El camino for the LS motors.
Thanks for your time.
John

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I first learned of them by reading an LS swap guide book copyright 2017. The Holley web site filled in the blanks. I called Holley with my credit card and here we are.

There is also an absolutely enormous 68-72 Holley and Hooker A-body swap discussion on the LS1Tech.com web site.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I've done every mistake possible doing an LS swap. I can tell you, ask questions and get a lot of input. Are you planning carb or FI? I know mine is a 5th gen but believe it or not there isn't much different other than things like header clearance and maybe a handful of minor differences. Personally, I love the FI look with the coils on the rocker covers, but from what I understand both ways still make for a fun drive!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also used all the Holley parts on a ls# swap into a 1968. I used their pan, Fbody motor mounts, and all their acc bracket for air conditioning, I chose to use the motor forward setup. Also stock exhaust will dump right onto upper a arm mounts and the exhaust they sell tucks along the engine and away from everything else, No modificationn to tunnel with 4L70E . Everything fit fine and plenty of room for big radiator and electric fan. Great swap and no regrets/ The car put 386 to the rear wheels so headers are not necessary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts