El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All,

In the next 6 months I will have my 383 full injection motor finished and need to install brake lines Master/power with front disc rear drum. I am asking opinions on what brand have you all used for power booster /master and what caliper brands are good, very good and THE BEST. This will have plenty of power no doubt but will not be a race car just a Resto/Mod muscle car for fairly regular use in the Summer. I thought I would use stainless lines but after reading some of the reviews here I think I will just go with steel. Please give me your opinions.. need to plan ahead. thank you:cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Good plan on the mild steel lines. It was tough to get mine to stop leaking on one of the fittings so I swapped that one for mild steel.

I went with a front disk brake kit from "The Right Stuff" people. No complaints. Cross drilled and slotted rotors, red powder coated calipers. Since everything front to rear was all new, I went with silicone DOT 5 brake fluid.

Question about the cam shaft in your 383??? Is it a radical cam that won't make much vacuum to run the vacuum-operated brake booster? If yes, you might consider a Hydro Boost system for power brakes.

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not purchased the cam yet but thank you, I forgot about the lack of of vacuum. I completely appreciate the knowledge. How does your car stop? more like a modern car?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Hello Scott,

No more 14 inch wheels for me. My original stock 14's won't fit over the Right Stuff front brake caliper. I'm running 15 x 7 Rally's from Jegs up front and 15 x 8 Jegs Rally's in the back. No rubbing anywhere at any time. I like tires with an old school height in the sidewall for a better ride quality and I'm also running a standard height front spindle, not a drop spindle.

The good thing about a Right Stuff kit for my 1970 EC is that its 1971 Chevelle / El Camino parts for the rotors, pads, calipers, master cylinder, proportioning valve and booster. The part numbers for the Timken roller bearings inside the hubs are also listed in the kit on the bearing boxes. So future parts support should be good but I seriously doubt that I could possibly wear out any of these parts. It just isn't going to see more than 3000-4000 miles per year.

Yes, she stops with good control and authority. I did initially have a bit of a pull to the right with a vigorous application of the brakes but it turned out that I needed some adjustment to the left rear drum brake. I thought the rear drum brakes on this era of GM vehicles were all self-adjusting upon application of the brakes in reverse gear but not in my case on this El Camino.

I'm happy with their kit. Yea, I probably could have tracked down these parts on my own but the Right Stuff folks made it easy.

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great information. I have already purchased complete conversion off of a 71 elcamino and installed. I dont have power booster and master cylinder or brake lines nor do I have brakes in rear. I do have wheels off of a camaro just for rollers but good to know tire and wheel sizes. with the 1 inch wider in rear are you getting the filled in wheel well look (muscle)? I did install 1 inch lowering springs in the front hoping to give a little more of a raked look. I hope it works out!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts