El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question if any body might know were all 396/402 motors built in tonawanda and shiped around the counrty is it possible a ca build cars motor was assebled in ny

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have only heard of the Tonawanda plant, but that doesn't really mean much. The number of things I DON'T know has long since ceased to surprise me. :poke:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i found some info that says 2 plants build these motors flint mi and tonawanda ny
would both plants supply engines to van nuys and would that be on the build sheet or cowl tag?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I doubt that anything like that kinda information would be on the cowl tag or build sheet. The build sheet is your holy grail, but it will only give you the information of what your car was equipped with by the factory.

GM just didn't keep those kind of records back then. Canadian built cars (my 70 Chevelle SS was built at the Oshawa Ontario plant) have a better traceable pedigree, where you can send in your VIN and get a full built record, even without a build sheet. I'm lucky to have both.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I believe the stamping on the block is the only way it is documented. If the stamping starts with a F or a V, it is from Flint. If it starts with a T. it's Tonawanda.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
In 1970 Chevelle/El Camino Motors where made in Tonawanda and Flint. Engine would be stamped with a T for Tonawanda or a F for Flint.

Example:
... T ... 09 ... 24 ...CTX
Plant- month- Day- Code

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts