El Camino Central Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Now there's a person dedicated to doing something right anybody else would have just took a hammer beat that down and welded it up.you don't see that kind of pride in work nowadays I'm impressed.Crs59 from Ky.
Appreciate that. I try to remember something my grandmother told me years ago, "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time". I haven't always followed that, and I've learned from those mistakes. Moving forward, even if I get impatient, I try to take the time to do it the right way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I'm excited to see that steering wheel. Get on with it, man. ;)

What is the issue you are having with the wiring. I could not find the post about it.
No power at fuse block

There is the thread link for the wiring issue.

I still have not been able to resolve the wiring issue. I have a dead circuit for the dome lights, and accessory. I'm also dealing with yet another no-start issue. I got the trans crossmember back in and bolted up with new Grade 8 hardware. Put the driveshaft in, went to start the car, and I got nothin. I have power to the dash, 12.53v to the starter but it won't even kick. :cautious:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Update. I have checked the solenoid with the key turned on. No power at the solenoid. I pulled the starter out, and bench tested it. It was dead. Called up Speedway because I just bought the starter in Oct. They sent a return label, so I'll be sending it back for an exchange. Hoping to get some things tied up in the interior while I wait for the new starter to show up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm glad you tracked down the problem, but dang . . . that is so frustrating. I hope this solves all the electrical issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm glad you tracked down the problem, but dang . . . that is so frustrating. I hope this solves all the electrical issues.
I'm hopeful that this will solve the starting issue. But there is still the dead accessory circuit to deal with. I'll figure it out eventually. Going to enlist some help from my buddy. Electrical is not my forte.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
It seems many guys are stalled on their projects, and I am no different. It's been a while and not much has changed. I sent the starter back to Speedway, and then received the replacement. That turn around took about a week. It also didn't fix the issue. I still have power to the dash, idiot lights on, but no click, no crank, no nothing. I'm very frustrated with this whole thing. Haven't been able to have my buddy come help diagnose the starting issue and the dead Acc circuit. He ended up with COVID and has been down for a couple weeks. I haven't finished the carpet install because frankly, with the electrical issues, there is currently more frustration than motivation on the 70.

On the other hand...

I will be starting a build thread for the 60'! So that is exciting news. I've been cleaning up the garage in preparation for that behemoth to take its place inside for the first time since I've owned it. I'll need to do a good cleanup, it's been sitting in the dirt for 10 years. The plan was to start on it last year, but with COVID and lockdowns, as you've seen, I have been working on the 70. It's high time the 60 got some attention. Once cleaned up, with some aired up roller tires and not flat ones, it will go in the garage. I'll continue the tear down I began a decade ago and finish removing all the trim, front end, and then begin the metal work. There is lots of rust to repair on this car. Be on the lookout for a new thread.

Hope to have the electrical issues on the 70 resolved soon so that I can drive the car again, and be able to move it out of harms way in the garage when sparks are flying on the 60.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Quick Update. My buddy came by and we were able to poke around on the 70 a bit. Looked all around, double checked the fusible links, all was good. All connections at the starter were good, what it turned out to be, was the neutral safety switch (I had replaced this). It's a brand new unit, but apparently just like most things made these days, isn't of the greatest quality. We would get the car to click and turn over intermittently. The car would only turn over if we had a finger on the switch, with the LIGHTEST amount of pressure. Take a finger off, and it would do nothing again. We pulled the switch out, took it apart, everything looked good. Tweaked the clamp that holds the two halves together, ever so slightly, and put it back in. It works for now, but that makes me uneasy the way it wants to work sometimes and not others. I may end up bypassing the switch, or installing a toggle into the pigtail rather than the neutral safety switch. That would at least give me a more surefire way to guarantee functionality. Turn it on, good to go, turn it off, and it would act like a kill switch.
The other unfortunate part of this, is the car sat for so long, it now runs like ****. Holley carbs do not like to sit. So I may have to pull that to do some cleanup. It was huffin, and spitting the whole time it was running and would die if I took my foot off the gas. So she's going to need a little tune up.

I've also started putting the carpet in a few days ago, to get the seat back in it. I needed to get the seat off the floor of the garage to make room for the 60 inside. Nice thing about figuring out the starting issue is that I'll finally be able to drive the car, for the first time since making all the repairs. It's been almost a year since I've driven it. Didn't want everything to take that long, but wow, thinking back, there are so many things that have changed since it was on the road last. New ball joints, body bushings, floor pans, dynamat, carpet, headliner, and a bunch of small things too, I'm excited to get behind the wheel again!

·
Premium Member
8,905 Posts
That's frustrating with those issues. I'm glad you got it figured out. That's cool you are getting the new carpet in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Couple of photos. I'm in the middle of building a new workbench/tool storage area. I've welded up a frame out of square tubing that will hold my new tool boxes after I remove the casters. The frame is getting powder coated right now, once back I can set the new boxes in place and reorganize my tools. My shop will be less of a mess once more and I will be able to move the 60 Elco in and begin some work on that!

The 70 is in serious need of a wash! Now that the electrical issue is resolved I'll be able to do a tune up, getting running right, and clean it up.

The new tool boxes sitting where they will be permanently once I get the frame back. The space to the right of the boxes will serve as a desk area where I can put my stool, sit and plan, or work on small parts.

The frame welded up before it went to powder coat. I thought about putting it on casters, but my upper cabinets are so tall, that I would have no space to work underneath. It's limited as it is. So the frame will sit on the floor and the boxes will be stationary.

Middle of the carpet install. I'm going about this differently than I have in the past, and I'm spraying some 3M adhesive to help hold the carpet in place/suck it down into the recesses.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Little bit of progress today. Picked up the bench frame from the powder coaters. I'll be able to get the shop cleaned up and the 60 inside soon. Also finished installing the carpet. Just need to put in seatbelts, the seat, and kick panels. After that it's TEST DRIVE TIME! It's almost been a year since I've been on the road with this car. Lots of changes in that time. It will be nice to drive a classic again.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts