El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the dash assembly to clean and paint. Reassembled all back together just like it was . pulled headlamp switch to ON position that blew the tails Fuse , headlights work but gauge or cluster lights were not on . So I went to check the headlight switch and noticed the brown wire had melted . Thought the headlamp switch wAs the issue so bought one replace still no gauge lights .. Does anyone know if a broken ground would cause the brown wire on headlamps switch to melt . Have been looking at wiring diagrams but lost . Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, your brown wire has found a ground. You're further ahead in the game than I was when I had a VERY similar problem. What you are going to have to do is strip off the wrap, go into your harness, find the brown wire (won't be hard as the insulation is cooked), and track down the direction of the melt down. On my harness, there's a branch-off that goes along the dash, and another branch that goes into the engine compartment. MY problem was with the brown wire that went to the radio/clock had been cut off and just left (radio replaced, and no longer original). Well, with all the shifting around (I replaced the dash, but didn't catch the wire being loose) it finally found a home with ground.

To isolate to parts of the car, mine has a connector just under the left rear side marker. If yours has one, disconnect, and you will eliminate everything in the rear.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information , I traced the brown wire to aplug and a split to the fuse box. I also noticed with the ignition switch on I hear the horn relay trigger on and if I jiggle the switch on drivers door Wich controls dome light is black and white it triggers the horn relay off and on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts