El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the 700r4 speedo cable connect too ???

What is name of part that is connected uo too.???

·
Registered
532 Posts
For mechanical speedo it be called a gear housing there are two kinds, for 34 to 39 tooth driven gears and another for 40 to 45 tooth driven gears
for electronic it's called a speed sensor(gear driven or hall effect/magnetic)

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For mechanical speedo it be called a gear housing there are two kinds, for 34 to 39 tooth driven gears and another for 40 to 45 tooth driven gears
for electronic it's called a speed sensor(gear driven or hall effect/magnetic)
I have mechanical speedo so gear housing is my part thanks ^.

Whats the difference in the two gear housing 34 to 39 and 40 to 45 tooth driven gears ???

How do you install gear housing i put one in trans but it keeps falling out.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I have mechanical speedo so gear housing is my part thanks ^.

Whats the difference in the two gear housing 34 to 39 and 40 to 45 tooth driven gears ???

How do you install gear housing i put one in trans but it keeps falling out.
The housing is held on by a small bracket and bolt. The difference between the 2 housings is where the gear shaft hole is centered or offset in the housing to accommodate the different gear diameters. The housing has numbers on it that show what speedo gears it works with.
I'm assuming you have the larger speedo housing. The small bullet shaped housings are all centered the same. :beer:

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The housing is held on by a small bracket and bolt. The difference between the 2 housings is where the gear shaft hole is centered or offset in the housing to accommodate the different gear diameters. The housing has numbers on it that show what speedo gears it works with.
I'm assuming you have the larger speedo housing. The small bullet shaped housings are all centered the same. :beer:
My Speedo Housing has numbers 40 to 45 on it

Also i need a speedo gear my DRIVE Gear Is Blue So what Driven Gears will work for me???

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
You will need to find out what speedo gears (drive & driven) you need to make your speedo read correctly !!

·
Registered
532 Posts
you need to know your gear ratio, and the overall diameter of your back tires, then google trans driven gear ratio calculator there are a lot of good ones out there(tci has a good one raptor transmissions has a good one too)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the gears are somewhat specific as to which other gears they will mate to.you need the rear gear and tire info then you can look it up on a speedo gear chart to find the apropriate gear set. i have several gm charts but you need to give more info

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the gears are somewhat specific as to which other gears they will mate to.you need the rear gear and tire info then you can look it up on a speedo gear chart to find the apropriate gear set. i have several gm charts but you need to give more info
700r4 with a Blue Drive gear and speedo housing 40 to 45 Rearend 2:56 ratio tires are so rally rims 15in Gm

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
700r4 with a Blue Drive gear and speedo housing 40 to 45 Rearend 2:56 ratio tires are so rally rims 15in Gm Tires255/60/15

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
why are you running such a tall gear with a od trans. i switched to 273 s from 342 s and lost 5 mpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts