El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my T350 for a Bowtie Specialties 700R4 that a friend had in a Camaro with electronic speedo, this is in my 72, how do I find out what drive and driven gears I need to get for my combination?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GPS? Are you being serious Old Bear? I didnt even know this was a thing. I haven’t taken the tail shaft housing off yet , I just know it doesn’t have cable and gear outlet, it’s got an electronic connection, I assumed it would have a reluctor or something other than a gear, maybe I should look!

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I have never seen an aftermarket electronic speedo that was you were not able to calibrate to whatever setup you have or they operate off a GPS
sensor with no calibration needed.
Some (Dakota Digital) you drive 1 known mile and others require you drive 2 known miles.
If you are trying to run your original speedo I'm not sure if you can do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going to be running the original speedo to the car, Not electronic, I need to remove the electronic stuff, whatever it may be, and use a driven/drive gear with cable. I’ll take the housing off later today and see what’s in there.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
I think
depending on which trans / tail housing you have now ,,
it could be the large or small VSS sensor hole.. maybe ??
you may need a different tail housing to convert to a cable drive..
700R4 parts
or
I have a Cable-X Box on my 4L60E, seemed to work good,,
it converts trans elec VSS signal to a cable drive motor..
there not cheap ether, 300$+
Cable-X
Speed-Box
VSS to Cable speedo Search

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Some of us may be confused.
Are you installing an electronic speedometer, or going with the original '72 mechanical speedometer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is what I have, and I need to adapt it to a cable for a 72 El Camino speedometer. It’s a steel gear, or a reluctor, nothing like the plastic ones, I’m not even sure how it’s in there, or how I would get it off, there is not hardware, probably have to use a puller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts