El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 GMC Caballero
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fresh rebuild in my beat 700r4, My buddy and I came across an issue. Initially we were having some difficulty with getting the trans to shift out of first to second, but everything else was working ok. A trip in the freeway and it went into all gears. After parking it, when we went to move it, it’s stuck in drive. It goes into drive in every gear, including park. When shifted to reverse, it'll move back a few feet then feel like it’s stuck, as if something is blocking the wheels. Any suggestions? Pulled the pan off and all linkages are intact. Reverse was working ok on first test drive

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
A lot of areas to think about here after all fluid circuits applied and then a heat and cool cycle. Transmission snap rings came loose/shifted inside, spring cage/s broke, clearances in transmission were set too close in assembly, valve body corrupted/stuck, etc. You stated mechanical linkage looked good and that should mean shift selector valve is working (it does seem to want to apply reverse although drive also seems to be applied at same time). I would be careful operating too much more until inspected but some things I would consider is pulling valve body down and inspecting all valves and passages, applying air to clutch packs to see if they are applying and releasing correctly, and inspecting gasket. Another thing to check first (consider may damage transmission more) is line pressure in all gears to see if valve body and hydraulic circuits are working. This may point you to more of an internal transmission mechanical issue requiring disassembly anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts