El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the lock up work with no ECM? Where does the "message" come from? I'm not sure whether I have a lock up system, or, if I do, whether it's working properly or not. It (the 700r4) seems to shift properly within the speeds I was told to expect, and I'm no longer being kicked in the seat of my pants by the tranny. Still leaves the question: How do I know if I have a lockup, and if it's functioning properly??

Thanks for any help/advice.:smileyb:

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Watch your rpm's really close after the tranny shifts to OD. I have a 2004r and when it locks up my rpm's drop by 200. It's really hard to tell but you should be able to hear it as well. Hope that helps a little till the guru's arrive.

· Premium Member
2,536 Posts
You may have a 700R4, but it may not have the lockup wired. There's a plug on the linkage side of the trans that should have at least one wire going up into the engine compartment. If there's no plug, you won't lock up.

Jack

· Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,305 Posts
Yes the converter in the 700R4 will have a lockup clutch. It does require 12V as described above. A 3rd wire is usually connected to the ECM that will cause a ground out at the proper times to activate lockup. With no computer...You can use a simple toggle switch in the 12V line. It can be left off for around town driving and turned on for highway travel. There is also a vacuum operated system that can be used. I have read some threads on it and it looks interesting.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
I've seen kits on Summit Racing that operate off vacuum, or ones that actually have yo remove the pan and install something inside......I have some knowledge of the vacuum ones working OK, have seen a couple...

· Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My Elkie's a mutt with a 700 in it. The ecm was not in use when I got it because of the motor swap. As I've been working on it to clean things up I methodically pulled all the wiring from the original systems out of it. What a rats nest under the hood,anyway there's a bunch of wiring in the passenger kick panel where the ecm was(most of it gone now) but with the wrong wire disconnected when the trany wanted to go into OD it kind of did but it felt like you where riding the clutch on a standard it was kind of in OD but not very solidly and the rpm's didn't drop as much as they should have. Once I reconnected the proper wire you could definitely feel it was back to normal, a nice positive shift into forth and locked in until otherwise told by my right foot.
I have a B&M ratchet shifter in my car so if I'm in the city and don't want it to go to OD I just keep the shifter in third instead of drive so it just goes through the gears as it should but not OD or lock up.

· Registered
573 Posts
Check on your brake pedal--there should be a factory switch located on it with wiring for two items---this is what your brake lights are wired to---check that switch--there should be another location on this same switch--this is where you will connect your leads for the OD-------my truck has no ECM---wired in to this switch--this is what the later 5th generations with OD had for the 200 tranny--usually the same switch was put in most of them--let us know

Pete ATL/NYC

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may have a 700R4, but it may not have the lockup wired. There's a plug on the linkage side of the trans that should have at least one wire going up into the engine compartment. If there's no plug, you won't lock up.

Jack
Jack, this is exactly what I'm afraid of, not being wired. I've had so many other problems with this sukker recently, I'm just now getting around to this issue. The Elky has the Ground Effects stuff on it, and it's extremely hard to see under it, and I just haven't taken the time, yet, to jack it up and see what's going on under it. I do need to do that, as I have a leak, and may need to tighten screws to the pan. It IS a 700, as the case is pretty much square, as I can see it from the rear.

I wanna thank all of you for responding, and now I have a way to start looking for what I may/may not have to do. :smileyb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.