El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I recently purchased steel inner fenders to replace the cracked plastic ones that were there when I bought my 1971 El Camino. As I was installing them I came across a question. I have J-clips on the metal outer fender (exterior body color) and holes in the inner fender for bolts. Where the inner fender meets the underside of the fender (under the chrome trim) I'm not sure how to orient it.
My question is, does the inner fender go on the underside (close to the ground) of the outer fender (J-clips on top to hold inner fender with bolt), or does it go on top (the outer fender closest to the ground)?
My driver's side has them the 2nd way, but I'd assume they should go the other way based upon the orientation of the J-clips. Any help would be super appreciated!!

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,565 Posts
Can't recall off the top of my head, but I'll try and remember to take a look and get back to you. If I don't, please send me a PM to remind me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, from the outside you should see only the fender and bolt heads, so j-nuts go on the fender well, which is tucked under, or inside, of the actual fender. Optional wheel opening moldings would be cut out just for those bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts