El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 El Camino had the idle speed set way too high. Had a friend set it for me. I runs and drives fine without jerking the transmission now...

Now I notice that the turn signals "slow down" when I add load such as turning on headlights, or the A/C. Sometimes waitng at a traffic light with a signal on, the flashing will freeze completely.. If I put the car in neutral or rev the engine, the flashers begin flashing again.

Where should I check first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
71 El Camino signal flashers slow down with added load

Thanks guys for the feedback. I just have a sweep dash on this one, so I do not have a tach (yet). I was told by the previous owner, it just had a new alternator put on last year. It looks new, but looks do not always matter....

I am definitely going to check battery and ground connections first. Then the alternator.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Need to check the output of the alternator when the car is idling.
Volts should ALWAYS be above 13-----but should really be at 14.2

If the alternator output is okay, then I would check the grounds from the engine to the frame to the body. Makes sure all of these make good solid contact.

Then---go on to the grounds on the lamps themselves.
Not sure if these is a separate ground wire on your car or not------the earlier cars just used the turn housing monted to the bumper as a ground. Sometimes these connections a bit corroded and make things not want to work. Remove them and lean them up real good and replace them-do the same for the taillights.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Definitely a voltage drop. Hang a volt meter on the battery and check battery voltage at idle under load, or whenever your problem occurs. Follow the path to the flasher, checking for voltage drop as you go. Assuming the charging system and flasher are good (you have tried a "known good flasher", right?), you're sure to find cause of your drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts