El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just got a 71 SS and the head lights, running lights, and dash lights dont work. i have turn signals and brake lights. it got dark out by the time i found this out so i haven't had time to start checking, but where do you guys think i should start first?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Always start with the basics and work from there, the fuse.:texas:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
also... make sure the light switch is turned clockwise.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The dash lights are fused. The headlights themselves have a circuit breaker internal in the switch. Power is fed from a separate fusible link to the light circuit. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27190 This will get you to a schematic. It just shows the red wire going to battery + and I didn't see on either page where they were picking it up. Probably a fusible link at the main terminal of the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked a few things today, all the fuses look good and i have power at the big red wire going to the switch, no power at the headlights. this thing has a ford relay mounted on the fender well. what else should i be checking or does that narrow it down to the switch?

Thanks guys,
John

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Turn the headlights on and check for power at the dimmer switch. If none then it is either the switch or the wiring from switch to dimmer. If you have power at the dimmer follow it on out through the firewall connector and see where you loose it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i have power to the dimmer switch, i checked the wiring from the firewall connector and it looks like it may have melted a little at one time! there are some wires taped up right at the firewall, i found one laying there, its brown and goes to what looks like a big black relay above the passenger side head light. and there is also a relay right next to the master cyl that doesnt look like it belongs there (i could be wrong). is there some way to bypass this mess? again, i have no head, marker,tail or dash lights. i have everything else, turn signals, brake lights, back up lights, horn, dome light...

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE, the green wire going to the headlights has a splice in it so i ran power from the battery right to it and both headlights come on. i checked power out of the headlight switch with the lights on and only the red and light blue wires have power. is that normal or no?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
No is the short answer. There should be a bunch of wires with power when the switch is all the way on.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..Chech the Headlight dimmer switch,the lt.blue wire goes to the dimmer switch. :beer:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lighting problem

My 71 has a short somewhere, the headlights blink on and off when I turn on the right turn signal. Otherwise, everything works.
Any ideas????

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..I think someone has tapped into the dark blue wire for the right turn wire with the light blue wire that goes to the dimmer switch,the other two wire comming from the dimmer switch is tan and light green.:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
new head light switch and still no head, marker , or tail lights. where should i check now? i have a new light harness but haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update, i bypassed the dimmer switch on the floor and my headlights work, would the bad switch stop my marker, tail, and dash lights from working too? could someone tell me how many wires are coming out of your headlight switch? i have white, red, green , lt blue, orange, and brown. in some of the wire diagrams im looking at i see a PPL on both front parking lights that says it goes to the light switch?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another update, i unplugged the headlight switch and ran power to each wire separately and they all work! so is it another bad headlight switch or does it have something to do with the dimmer switch?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
maybe the red wire,power to the headlight switch is opening up or loosing power with the full load on it??
could be the curcuit breaker or the headlight switch..

the headlight dimmer should not keep the tail,dash,marker lights from working..
unless its shorted out and tripping the curcuit breaker..
sounds like the headlight dimmer switch is bad,, unplug it and see if the other lights work??:texas:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
new dimmer switch is in, i have headlights now but nothing else. its a new headlight switch, but does it pretty much narrow it done to another bad one?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts